cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
indigorayne
Former Member
Message 1 of 10

Can I just put this suggestion out there?

I'd like to throw a suggestion out here that just might benefit many of your customers, and may actually help protect our privacy considering the fact that any company can simply include the phrase "we collect data" to any end user license. Many of these licenses are not even read by the user - through no fault of their own. Buy a device it comes preloaded with lots of software. Do a clean install of Windows 10, they add programs you may not even use. They made the choice for the end user, we did not agree to these terms of use, and in many cases we do not agree to have our personal, private files uploaded nor turned into products for these companies and their many partners.

So while we wait to see how many more companies the FTC will be cracking down on over the forced collections, the invasion of privacy and yes even theft. I am more than willing to offer my pc up as a guinea pig in the event that McAfee would like to monitor all the "collections" happening in the background I would be more than happy to give my consent for McAfee to collect every bit of data from my device. In hopes that you might be able to analyze exactly what is being collected by other companies and hopefully provide a way to help not only me but all of your consumers protect our data from unlawful collections.

9 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 10

Re: Can I just put this suggestion out there?

Moved from Community Support to General Discussion > Discussion

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 10

You are incorrect in assuming McAfee is spying on you. You should be talking to them directly about your worries and not be posting in these forums regarding any assumptions or thoughts on that matter.   These forums are for people to get help using their product.   Further discussion in public on what might or might not be happening regarding data collection could be subject to legal implications.   As an ex-Moderator here I know all this to be true as it's happened before.

Privacy Policy | Intel Security​ 

Contact Us

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 10

I am inclined to totally agree.

Thanks Peter.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
indigorayne
Former Member
Message 5 of 10

Sorry, but I'm not assuming McAfee is spying on me, just asking that McAfee assist your customers in protecting our data. I am simply suggesting that in the event that McAfee would want to know who is collecting what and they may want to one day offer us a way to stop what actually turns out to be illegal actions disguised as "data collection."

Last month the FTC reported that numerous companies are forcing collections on people that have went out of their way to opt out of them. They concluded that personal files are being collected, they concluded that laws are being broke using these methods. I'm just asking that someone help us protect what is ours. Who better to ask than our security company?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 10

They do.  When you install your software there's an option to opt out of any data collection.

If you need help with that after the fact then best call Technical Support as I don't know how to do that.

This is not something that can be discussed here.  You could put in a Product Idea perhaps, but privacy is something between you and the company and not for these forums.

indigorayne
Former Member
Message 7 of 10

There's no option to opt out when you install an Nvidia driver. there's no option to opt out when you purchase a laptop, desktop tablet or phone that has any bundled software preinstalled.

You can do a clean install of Windows 10 and customize the settings opting to turn everything off including OneDrive, yet after it finishes everything you just opted out of is still running. You can turn off all the background apps under privacy in windows 10 yet they're still there in task manager. You can't disable Mobsync, you have to end the cortana numerous times just to rename the folder to shut it off.

Microsoft is supposed to roll out a dashboard to give users a chance to opt out of their data collections in April. But what about the rest of the companies - the same ones that the FTC admits are forcing collections on people who already opted out of them? How is someone supposed to stop that? Or the companies who simply say that they are "collecting data" without providing transparency and not even adding any opt out check box nor button. There's several of them.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 10

Ex_Brit Said;

"This is not something that can be discussed here.  You could put in a Product Idea perhaps, but privacy is something between you and the company and not for these forums.

While we value your input, Have you followed his advice? For we could go on and on in regards to this Topic. Which I personally feel has been answered, and suggestions/advice has been given. In other words, politely saying, *This thread has lost it's substance*

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
user_30293
Former Member
Message 9 of 10

@ex_Brit

This statement is not true:  "They do.  When you install your software there's an option to opt out of any data collection."

The last time I did an install from my account on the McAfee site I got something called CSISSetup.exe which no longer asked if I wanted to opt out of Anonymous data collection, nor did it ask about installing the Vulnerability Scanner, and I used to see both of those options.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 10

Then perhaps it all depends on where you are getting it from and in which country etc.  I have no idea.  All I know is when I first install from my online account I see that option here.

I was wrong however suggesting calling Technical Support, I should have said call Customer Service as they deal with all that sort of thing, it should not be discussed here.

​ can you lock this thread please?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community