cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
indinfer
Former Member
Message 11 of 14

Re: Bug Report: All Access - Total Protection, Frequently shows "Take a Tour"

I think I noticed a pattern in this problem.

First, I see in the task bar the McAfee icon for "searching for updates". This is an automatic update, not one I initiated.

Icon_checking_updates.PNG

Then, I double click on the McAfee icon as it is searching for updates. I then see Total Access Update panel scanning, checking for updates, downloading updates, and installing updates. I then close the Total Access Update Panel. That is when I see the "Take the Tour" Window. And if I accept, then I get the blank window that won't close.

Seems like the Take the Tour does not happen if I initiate the update. But maybe it happens when the check for updates happens automatically.

I'm not 100% sure because I have to wait until I see the"searching for updates" icon, shown above. Just that I think it happens more frequently when I see the automatic update icon shown above. I still cannot get the problem to happen at will.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 12 of 14

Well the icon showing constant updating is a bug to be fixed shortly.  Let's hope the fix takes care of the Take a Tour also.

indinfer
Former Member
Message 13 of 14

Now I'm not so sure I found a pattern because I have a few times as described in my post of Sep 24, 2015 11:59 PM, and without the Tour Invitation. So, the Tour problem is still random because it still occurs. I am not sure whether it only occurs in the scenario described in my post, or whether it occurs otherwise.

I know it is difficult for software developers to fix a problem without a series of steps to elicit the problem. And even more so, a software developer cannot test whether his/her code change fixes the problem without a way to elicit the problem.

Of course, there has to be some code somewhere in All Access that invokes the Take a Tour window. And that code could be ripped out of the software. Then, if desirable to have a Take a Tour, a new Take a Tour could be coded and tested. Hopefully, a rewrite would not have the same problems as the previous one. And hopefully, whatever new problems are introduced by the rewrite would be more easily solvable. The Tour's blank window that cannot be closed should never happen.

In any case, Ex_Brit, you are wonderful for validating peoples' bug experiences.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 14 of 14

Well the "Take a Tour" thing got so bad on my main working machine that I uninstalled All Access Total Protection and then installed the watered down Antivirus Plus my ISP offers for free, just until it gets fixed.  But I still see it on my Win 10 Pro boot when I'm in there, but that isn't often.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community