Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nisa51
Contributor III
Message 1 of 7

Buffer Overflow Checking

Jump to solution

Can someone explain a little to me exactly what this is and what it means please.

I noticed it says its off on my Mcafee programme.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Re: Buffer Overflow Checking

Jump to solution

Yes, turn it on. It's an essential check that should always be carried out.

In essence, this is dead simple. Every programmer (once upon a time, ie when I were a lad) used to check for this. Perhaps things are more complicated now, or maybe it got dropped from basic training, but ....

When a user enters something into an input field - name, address, whatever - the input is detected and assigned to an appropriate variable to hold it. Then the program uses the data in the variable to do whatever it's intended to be used for. Sometimes the data gets passed back and forth between programs. There is always the assumption that once the program has accepted the data it's valid, usable data. So checking for non-validity should be done at the pojnt of entry. Except .... all too often it's not.  By entering a stream of garbage followed by some malicious code you can fill all the space allocated for the input field, and the input then spills over into and overwrites an adjacent area of computer memory. Once you put executable code into memory, it will execute. In principle, easy to do if input checking is sloppy. And that's a buffer overflow.

All Software Contains Bugs : that's a fact of life. Microsoft code used to be riddled with sloppy input checking, but they've done a rigorous overhaul of old code and tightened up programming of new code. Lots of Microsoft updates are put out with fixes for this particular bug, because it's so easy to manipulate once found. Find an input field that's doesn't check for length of input, work out how much the field can hold internally, give the program (x) bytes of garbage followed by your own code, and you might be able to take over a user's machine.

That is the best explanation I can give. If it's not entirely right, at least it's not entirely wrong 🙂

Let Wikipedia have the final word.  It's all on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffer_overflow

View solution in original post

6 Replies
echo
Former Member
Message 2 of 7

Jump to solution

I have had the same thing as per below:

McAfee overflow.JPG

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Jump to solution

Probably this is Intrusion Protection set to 'High'. It should be 'Basic'. I saw a few of these until I reset to the recommended setting.

Go into Security Center / Firewall settings / Intrusion Protection and see what the setting is.

Nisa51
Contributor III
Message 4 of 7

Jump to solution

Going back to my original question for this thread.

I was asking exactly what Buffer Overflow Checking is and what does it do.

I have this Checked Off on my programme, seems as default as the image below, should I be turning this on?

http://i.imgur.com/TbdDs.png

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Jump to solution

Yes, turn it on. It's an essential check that should always be carried out.

In essence, this is dead simple. Every programmer (once upon a time, ie when I were a lad) used to check for this. Perhaps things are more complicated now, or maybe it got dropped from basic training, but ....

When a user enters something into an input field - name, address, whatever - the input is detected and assigned to an appropriate variable to hold it. Then the program uses the data in the variable to do whatever it's intended to be used for. Sometimes the data gets passed back and forth between programs. There is always the assumption that once the program has accepted the data it's valid, usable data. So checking for non-validity should be done at the pojnt of entry. Except .... all too often it's not.  By entering a stream of garbage followed by some malicious code you can fill all the space allocated for the input field, and the input then spills over into and overwrites an adjacent area of computer memory. Once you put executable code into memory, it will execute. In principle, easy to do if input checking is sloppy. And that's a buffer overflow.

All Software Contains Bugs : that's a fact of life. Microsoft code used to be riddled with sloppy input checking, but they've done a rigorous overhaul of old code and tightened up programming of new code. Lots of Microsoft updates are put out with fixes for this particular bug, because it's so easy to manipulate once found. Find an input field that's doesn't check for length of input, work out how much the field can hold internally, give the program (x) bytes of garbage followed by your own code, and you might be able to take over a user's machine.

That is the best explanation I can give. If it's not entirely right, at least it's not entirely wrong 🙂

Let Wikipedia have the final word.  It's all on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffer_overflow

Nisa51
Contributor III
Message 6 of 7

Jump to solution

Thank you for that, trying to find the setting is it this

Real Time Scanning Settings - Buffer overlow exploits?

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Jump to solution

If you see it there, turn it on. It used to be there in mine but isn't any more. It's still listed on this Help page though.

Every time Microsoft fixes a potential buffer-overflow weakness McAfee adds protection for it, just in case.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 19/12/12 17:04:27 GMT
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community