Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tomlg1
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

Blue screen after un-installing trial McAfee

Jump to solution

Pleas help,

My 64 bit windows 7 laptop came with a trial McAfee on it. The trial ended and since then for months on end everycouple of minutes I got pop-up after pop-up after pop-up trying to get me to but their product and eventually I got so angry with it I uninstalled it. Once the uninstalation was complete I restarted my computer and I got a blue screen crasherror. I followed the links on a simialr thread which made me try and update my drivers but apparently they are already up to date. I can only access my computer on Safe Mode. We tried a systems restore and there are no restore points apparently. I don't really know what to do now, I have run different programmes to try and sort it that have been reccomended to my but none have made any difference. Can anybody tell me what to do. I just want McAfee off my computer completely and perminantly and for it to leave my laptop in a state I can use.

Thanks for any help.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

Jump to solution

Tom, where are you situated?

It might be best to contact Technical Support Online Chat

But first can you boot into the Safe Mode menu by tapping F8 repeatedly whil booting up and choose "Last Known Good Configuration"?

If that fails, in the same menu try entering regular Safe Mode and using the Start Orb/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore - go back to before all this happened, THEN enlist their help in uninstalling and hopefully avoiding the blue screen

Also it might help if you could tell us what the error code on that BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death) is?

If by any chance the BSOD simply flashes by too fast then you would have to do the following in Safe Mode if possible:

1. Click on the Start button and then on Control Panel.

Tip: In a hurry? Type system in the search box after clicking Start. Choose System under the Control Panel heading in the list of results and then skip to Step 4.

2. Click on the System and Security link.

Note: If you're viewing the Small icons or Large icons view of Control Panel, you won't see this link. Simply double-click on the System icon and proceed to Step 4.

3. Click on the System link.

4. In the task pane on the left, click the Advanced system settings link.

5. Locate the Startup and Recovery section near the bottom of the window and click on the Settings button.

6. In the Startup and Recovery window, locate and uncheck the check box next to Automatically restart.

7. Click OK in the Startup and Recovery window.

8. Click OK in the System Properties window.

9. You can now close the System window.

10. From now on, when a problem causes a BSOD or another major error that halts the system, Windows 7 will not force a reboot. You'll have to reboot manually when an error appears.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
ConorD62
Former Member
Message 2 of 6

Re: Blue screen after un-installing trial McAfee

Jump to solution

Hi Tomlg1,

Please read this.

Thanks.

tomlg1
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

Jump to solution

I tried that but it said my drivers were up to date 😕

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

Jump to solution

Tom, where are you situated?

It might be best to contact Technical Support Online Chat

But first can you boot into the Safe Mode menu by tapping F8 repeatedly whil booting up and choose "Last Known Good Configuration"?

If that fails, in the same menu try entering regular Safe Mode and using the Start Orb/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore - go back to before all this happened, THEN enlist their help in uninstalling and hopefully avoiding the blue screen

Also it might help if you could tell us what the error code on that BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death) is?

If by any chance the BSOD simply flashes by too fast then you would have to do the following in Safe Mode if possible:

1. Click on the Start button and then on Control Panel.

Tip: In a hurry? Type system in the search box after clicking Start. Choose System under the Control Panel heading in the list of results and then skip to Step 4.

2. Click on the System and Security link.

Note: If you're viewing the Small icons or Large icons view of Control Panel, you won't see this link. Simply double-click on the System icon and proceed to Step 4.

3. Click on the System link.

4. In the task pane on the left, click the Advanced system settings link.

5. Locate the Startup and Recovery section near the bottom of the window and click on the Settings button.

6. In the Startup and Recovery window, locate and uncheck the check box next to Automatically restart.

7. Click OK in the Startup and Recovery window.

8. Click OK in the System Properties window.

9. You can now close the System window.

10. From now on, when a problem causes a BSOD or another major error that halts the system, Windows 7 will not force a reboot. You'll have to reboot manually when an error appears.

tomlg1
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

Jump to solution

Oh my god, thank you so much, it works! I did the Last Known Good Configuration thing and It is now working A Okay again! I cannot thank you enough!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

Re: Blue screen after un-installing trial McAfee

Jump to solution

That's great.  That particular one is always a mystery to me how exactly it decides what is the best configuration but often works when all else fails.

Now you must make sure everything is up to date with Windows Update and use its Microsoft Update option if you aren't already, that brings in lots of optional updates, some needed, some not of course.

Not sure if you dare try the uninstall McAfee exercise again - Control Panel/Programs/Uninstall a Program, then run MCPR linked under Useful Links at the top of this page (always use a fresh copy as it updates frequently).

Or you may wish to contact Technical Support Online Chat, also listed under Useful Links.

Good luck!!

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 19/02/11 11:19:12 EST AM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community