cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ncolbyt83
Former Member
Message 1 of 12

Blue Screen after uninstalling McAfee and restarting computer

After uninstalling McAfee through "Add/Remove Programs", my computer is unable to preform a Normal  Startup when restart it.  I encounter a BSOD duing startup that basically says Windows was  forced to shut down, but it doesn't say up long enough for me to read all of it (disabling Auto Restart now).  I then have to restart in Safe Mode, and in the end, I had to preform a  System Restore to reverse the uninstall just so I could boot normally again.

Does anyone know what causes this and how to fix it?

11 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 12

Re: Blue Screen after uninstalling McAfee and restarting computer

Uninstall via the MCPR removal tool that should do it better.

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507

ncolbyt83
Former Member
Message 3 of 12

Thank you for you response, but I had already tried that removal tool.  I read those steps for uninstalling and watched the tutorial vid, and it said that before using MCPR, you're supposed to restart your computer after you use Add/Remove Programs to uninstall McAfee, and it was during that restart that I was getting the BSOD.  I tried using the tool after the computer had started in safe mode, but I still got the BSOD when I tired a normal startup.  I even tried using it before the initial restart, but that didn't help either.

In any case, I did a quick search earlier today (didn't have the time last night) and found a post about BSOD errors. After updating my network driver as suggested in that post, I was able to uninstall without getting the BSOD, and I haven't had any further problems.

Message was edited by: ncolbyt83 on 1/18/11 8:54:29 AM CST
ConorD62
Former Member
Message 4 of 12

Do you by any chance have a 64 bit Windows 7 computer?

ncolbyt83
Former Member
Message 5 of 12

ConorD62 wrote:

Do you by any chance have a 64 bit Windows 7 computer?

Yes, though I already followed the steps in this thread (which seems to have solved the problem) if that's what you're getting at 

Message was edited by: ncolbyt83 on 1/18/11 9:17:00 AM CST
Dinz
Former Member
Message 6 of 12

Glad that you are OK now, please get back to us if you need any other assistance

ConorD62
Former Member
Message 7 of 12

That is what I was going to direct you at.

Hope all is good now.

Good luck and stay safe.

Peacekeeper
Message 8 of 12

Now that is the first time I have seen that after an uninstall it is usually after an install. Good to see you are fixed.

ncolbyt83
Former Member
Message 9 of 12

Peacekeeper wrote:

Now that is the first time I have seen that after an uninstall it is usually after an install. Good to see you are fixed.

Well, my computer came with a trial version already installed, so there's no telling whether it would've BOSDed me during installation as well.  Glad I didn't have to find out though 

Message was edited by: ncolbyt83 on 1/18/11 7:00:10 PM CST
Peacekeeper
Message 10 of 12

Marked this as answered...by yourself:)

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community