Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MoxieMomma
Former Member
Message 11 of 121

Re: Blue Screen Installation Error ***mfehidk01.sys***

Hello, Mark:

Your observations are quite reasonable, and I agree with most of what you said, to a point.

It's just that, having lived through enough computer grief over the years, I see a classic "circular firing squad" on the horizon over this.

Dell/Toshiba/Whomever will blame McAfee for not testing their software sufficiently in the Win7 x64 environment.

MS will probably do the same.

McAfee will likely point the finger at MS.

Everyone will finger the makers for not testing McAfee in the W7 X64 environment on *their* hardware.

And around and around it will go.

The only losers will be the customers, while a "fix" is found (or not).

I suspect that the # of complaints being posted are merely the tip of the iceberg -- many home users wouldn't know what to do with a BSOD, what the error code means,  or how to get help here or elsewhere (assuming they can even contact support, if the affected machine is their only computer!).

As I had no choice on the OEM security software when customizing my system (no choice for another option or for no ISS at all (so that I could install my own), and as it is too late to cancel the order (I already tried), I am seriously considering returning the whole mess without opening the box once it arrives.

It might be the better part of valor to upgrade the RAM and GPU on my Vista box, nuke/pave the HDD, and make a clean install of Win7 (perhaps even x86?), whether with MSC or another ISS.  I originally planned to wait to upgrade until SP1 anyway.

So, alas, I don't have an open support ticket yet.

Maybe I won't need to submit one (it's encouraging that Peter has not had any problems), or maybe I'll just give up and move to Mac, as so many of my colleagues have done.

This stuff just wears me out.

Thanks for working on this.

Please update us with any news or developments.

Thanks,

MM

andyandwendy
Former Member
Message 12 of 121

Ryan,

Update from Tier 2 Support is that it remains a known issue re Windows 7, engineers are working on it and they expect a resolution so that by next week it should be sorted allowing a problem-free download.

Whilst frustrating I have to say I am pretty impressed with the McAfee Tier 2 service - they ring when they say they will, have been very apologetic and keep you updated. All we need now is for the issue to be fixed - here's hoping!

I won't be able to try a download for a couple of weeks now, so if you try and are successful, please post.

Updated ticket number 457879531.

Andy

ryanm353
Former Member
Message 13 of 121

Thanks so much for the information!!!!

Thats brilliant news....

Can you let me know when the problem is fixed?

Thanks for the information

paulfras
Former Member
Message 14 of 121

I can report that I recently upgraded all the pc's in my home to the new version of McAfee through my online account. My desktop Dell running xp could run it as well as my Inspirion notebook with Windows 7 64-bit could run it. But my wife's Toshiba notebook with Windows 7 64-bit gave the already described screen of death. So I am not sure it is a systematic incompatability with the os. May be a specific bit of software that is running on toshibas that causes the problem. Glad to hear a solution is offered soon. Please let me know if that his the case.

andyandwendy
Former Member
Message 15 of 121

Since the original posts, I have just tried to install again but am still having the same problem and error message. Has anyone else had any success?

Andy

HomeGuard
Former Member
Message 16 of 121

I just want to add my name to those who have blue screen problems with Win7 64bit and a McAfee file - mfehidk.sys.  In my case, it is not a installation error but simply arises from everyday use of the McAfee Total Protection 2010 package on a new Toshiba machine.

McAfee tell me that there is a known conflict between Win7 64bit and McAfee mfehidk.sys and that a fix will be available 'soon' or 'in two weeks' - trouble is both 'soon' and 'in two weeks' ran out some time ago, as is my patience.

So, if a solution arises, I just hope it will be posted on here.

David

Message was edited by: HomeGuard on 04/04/10 05:05:32 CDT
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 17 of 121

I agree it should be fixed by now.   I have 64-bit systems and no problems so perhaps there's a Toshiba connection.  I suggest you open a ticket with Technical Support Chat linked through Useful Links at the top of this page, and escalate it if necessary.

HomeGuard
Former Member
Message 18 of 121

Thanks Peter

Just in case there is a Toshiba connection, I have posted a question on the Toshiba forum asking if other Toshiba users have had a mfehidk.sys problem with McAfee.

I have also heard from McAfee who recommend uninstalling McAfee Total Protection.  Given that this would leave me without any protection for viruses, malware etc., I have asked if they are effectively suggesting I use a competitive product.  I imagine not, but stranger things have happened.

David

Peacekeeper
Message 19 of 121

We have been told a patch for 2010 is nearly here so they are not fibbing. I assume it has a fix in it though we atm have not been updated with its fixes.

1 of us should post back here

user_17537
Former Member
Message 20 of 121

Hi

I too have a 4 week old Toshiba windows7 64bit. It did have the 30 day  trial installed. I bought a 3 user Internet Security cd package and tried to install and i too got the blue screen when it tried to install. The machine automatically recovered using the system restore but now i am left without any protection whatsoever since the install removed some Mcafee files needed for the 30 day trial to run.

I really need some protection but cant install the product. I wonder if i can get my money back so i can get a product that works

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community