cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andyandwendy
Former Member
Message 1 of 121

Blue Screen Installation Error ***mfehidk01.sys***

When trying to download an additional/new license from the McAfee website I get a Blue Screen at the point of installation with DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_EQUAL and an error message of -

***Stop:0x000000D1

***mfe.hidk01.sys***

plus numerous other strings of numbers

Have sought extensive help from McAfee including use of their removal tool to remove the trial version before downloading the full license plus several remote access sessions with McAfee technicians taking control of the laptop, but all have ended up with the same result. McAfee now seem to be stumped.

I have done a couple of full HDD recoveries to start afresh but still end up with the same problem.

This is a Toshiba laptop running Windows 7 and is fresh out of the box, about 5 weeks old with no added hardware or software.

From Googling this type of error message, there is a view that ***mfe.hidk01.sys*** is McAfee related. I have tried
- the McAfee removal tool prior to attempting a fresh download
- using the McAfee virtual technician to "fix all"
- remote sessions with Tier 2 support (trying to arrange another one as I type)
There is a 30 day free trial pre-installed McAfee trial and I have tried to -
1) initially use the trial and then download the new license
2) ignore the trial and download the full unsused license straight away after a recovery of the HDD and operating system
All end up with the Blue Screen as per above.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks. Andy
120 Replies
secured2k
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 121

Re: Blue Screen Installation Error ***mfehidk01.sys***

It looks like there is a compatibility problem with McAfee and Toshiba drivers. Official tech support from either McAfee or Toshiba (or both) will need to look into this and preferably get a full kernel memory space dump. This is probably beyond the work here on these forums. McAfee Support links can be found near the very top left of these communities. In the meantime, you may need to uninstall McAfee to prevent the crashing.

andyandwendy
Former Member
Message 3 of 121

Thanks Mark, I think you are right.

I gave these blue screen / stop error details to McAfee second tier yesterday and have just received a call-back to advise that this is apparently a known problem involving McAfee and the Windows 7 64 Bit operating system (which is what I am runing).

Apparently McAfee engineers are trying to sort out in liaison with their counterparts at Microsoft. My incident number has been added to the list and they will let me know when resolved.

Guess will just have to wait for it to be sorted now.

Ho hum!

Andy

Message was edited by: andyandwendy "question answered" on 17/02/10 14:14:47 CST
MoxieMomma
Former Member
Message 4 of 121

Great!

I have a new Windows 7 (64) computer on order with OEM McAfee SC (no option to build it WITHOUT McAfee SC or to select another ISS, as in the past).

I was strongly considering uninstalling it to replace it with another ISS, but it looks like I may not even get that far, assuming I can even boot the machine without a BSOD when it arrives.  At least it's not a Toshiba; maybe that will work in my favor.

Is there some way I can contact MS and McAfee in anticipation of what promises to be such a joyful experience, so that I can add my name to the list?

Sure hope McAfee and Redmond can fix this soon.

MM

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 121

I wouldn't panic needlessly.  My computer is Windows 7 x64 and came with the usual OEM McAfee installed.   It uninstalled without protest and I installed the full version from my account, again with no issues.

In fact the installer now actively uninstalls any previous installation first, asks for a reboot if that happens, and then resumes the installation afterwards.

Something must have changed the registry for the above issues to suddenly surface.

secured2k
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 121

If you have Windows 7, you may be able to remove the file or disable the driver in Safe Mode. This is also an option if you use the Windows 7 Recovery Environment (one of the options when you press F8 at boot up) but the file would have to be removed manually by command line. After disabling the bad driver, you should be able to uninstall McAfee until a solution has been provided. Also using the McAfee Consumer Product Removal (MCPR) Tool may work for you.

MCPR -> http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

ryanm353
Former Member
Message 7 of 121

Hi, just to let you know, im having the same issue.

I cant install mcafee and it always says mfehidk.sys is the issue

I then got rid of this file and then tried to install mcafee again and it then said the problem was mfehidk01.sys. WTF!?!!?

This is a complete joke....

I also have a toshiba laptop with windows 7 and its also about 1 or 2 weeks old now...

This needs to be sorted out!!!

Please tell me the reply u got from the support...

Thanks, Ryan

MoxieMomma
Former Member
Message 8 of 121

Hello, Mark and Peter:

I really do appreciate your sincere advice, assistance and reassurance.

Nonetheless, this appears to be a rather serious, systemic incompatibility issue between the W7 x64 OS and McAfee software.

Moreover, it seems rather extreme that a customer should have to nuke/pave the HDD, boot into safe mode to delete files and drivers, edit the registry, uninstall/reinstall major OEM software applications, or perform other highly technical troubleshooting and repair steps (none of which seem to be working?) on a brand new computer right out of the box, while we wait for a possible "fix" from MS, McAfee and our computer makers (assuming they can devise a solution).

I'm not "panicking", I'm just beyond frustrated at the prospect of unpacking an expensive, state-of-the-art computer system bearing an OS, software and hardware that apparently have not been sufficiently tested together for compatibility.  Although I've acquired a modicum of experience over the years using home computers, it seems a bit unreasonable for me to have to be my own engineer for a brand-new system. I only wish I knew enough to be able to build my own system.

I use my home computer for work EVERY day (not for downloading iTunes, uploading YouTube videos, or sending IMs), so I really need it to work correctly without having to expend countless hours fixing it.  (FWIW Win7 isn't the problem per se, as it runs just fine on my work laptop that runs a different security suite but identical productivity and other 3rd-party software.)

I do hope that you mods and mentors who have much more expertise and the inside line to McAfee can escalate this issue to the appropriate developers, so that a prompt solution can be found.

MM

secured2k
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 121

MoxieMomma,

I agree that it is asking a lot for a consumer to have to deal with problems with a new system. Surely some testing took place and verified all was sound. However, what happens is some security flaw occurs and Microsoft changes something or McAfee updates their drivers which might cause a new incompatibility that previously did not exist. Software developers would love to have their software work in all cases as intended but with the millions of different hardware configurations, it is impossible to catch every bug. Programmers are still human and make mistakes! Many times it's hard to find out who is to blame since a flaw in either a 3rd party (like another Security software), Microsoft, or McAfee could all cause the problem and result in an unexpected behavior in an otherwise perfectly working driver.

I would personally test this problem if I had an available 64-bit machine but unfortunately I do not as it hosts my Virtual Server for 32-bit systems (sorry no VT-x CPU on my test system here!). We can try to get these posts heard by McAfee support. The best way to do that is to have that open support ticket (post it in a reply if you haven't already) that can be referenced. Since the problem causes a STOP error (Blue Screen of Death), it is dealing with the Windows Kernel drivers and would need a fix by the development team (core programmers) once they figure out the exact cause and resolution. In the meantime, support might offer a work around or minor patch before it is pushed live to all users.

andyandwendy
Former Member
Message 10 of 121

Mark, my open ticket reference number is 452739795.

Andy

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community