cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dsneller
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

Black screen

When I start my Dell 2350 running Windows 8.1, I log in but then get a black screen.  F8 and F11 keys do not work.  I can do F2 and F12.  I can also get to the Task Manager but nothing else.  I think I have a virus but can't get into the machine to see anything.  Any ideas?

4 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 5

Re: Black screen

Not sure but Microsoft withdrew some recent updates for Win 7 and 8 due to strange problems like this.  Can you boot into Safe Mode and start System Restore to an earlier date?

dsneller
Former Member
Message 3 of 5

I can't get to safe mode.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 5

I don't think this has anything to do with your McAfee software but of course one never knows.  Short of asking Technical Support for help (free by phone or online chat - see link below) all I can suggest is try either of the following:

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/26095-repair-install-windows-8-a.html - you wont lose any data

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2302-reset-windows-8-a.html - you will lose all your data.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Removal Tools

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 5 of 5

Re: Re: Black screen

Hi

Please check if you are able to open Task Manager by pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL when you see the black screen. Once task manager is open Click on File > New task > explorer.exe > OK.

Post back once you are able to recover Windows explorer and for further instructions..!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community