cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SandyDo
Former Member
Message 1 of 1

Beware of advice on removing "Update pop-up"

The advice crashed my computer and I had to reinstall the Win 7 OS.

If you get the pop-up instructing you to reboot because new updates are ready, and the reboot does not work, be careful.  Very careful.  See my post "Remove Error".  I followed the instructions given carefully.  I saw a previous post saying that person's computer locked up after the repair, so I was cautious to follow the instructions carefully.

The advice did not work.  After doing what they said, my system was a disaster.  After a reboot, I could use it for about 30 second when a "Wait" icon would appear and nothing would respond.  If I brought up Task Manager, I could not end non-responding program!  Only the Wait icon would appear.  Either a log off or a reboot would give me another 20-30 seconds before it locked agan.

Be cautious!  Very cautious.  It might be better to live with McAfee's damnable annoying pop-up than try to remove it.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community