cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
geoffbeck
Former Member
Message 1 of 2

BT / McAfee update mashes network :(

Have used the McAfee product since it was bundled with BT Broadband.

I saw that McAfee had upgraded the BT/McAfee core program on three family laptops on Sunday.

Network then ran like a snail through treacle, and web pages are just getting dropped all the time.  I know it's the McAfee upgrade as I turned the McAfee programs/services off and it worked like normal again.

Got so fed up, have deinstalled McToffee, and am trying out the trial version of Kaspersky.  No problems there... and, interestingly, Kaspersky found 168 viruses, trojans, and dodgy email attachments that McAfee has (obviously) been reporting as 'Fine' in the last three years.

I think I'll deinstall McAfee off the others and buy a three-pack of Kaspersky... at least it doesn't mash the firewall and seems a lot lighter on the memory... faster too - it managed to scan my entire laptop (plus my Western Digital My Passport 1Tb drive) in about a third of the time that McAfee used to take.

What on Earth is the matter with the McAfee upgrade that causes so much hassle and diagnosis time... don't you people test it properly?  It also means having to deinstall the product completely - more time wasted - and install an alternative.... multiplied by every machine in the house.

Not a happy camper.

1 Reply
Manoj_AR
Former Member
Message 2 of 2

Re: BT / McAfee update mashes network :(

Can you try to do a fresh installation to any of your computer and check if you having any issue with the internet? If so please try the below steps and let me know the result.

• Open McAfee Security Center.
  • Click on Firewall and select ‘Settings’
  • Select ‘Netguard’ and select the option to turn off
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community