cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnpt
Former Member
Message 51 of 186

Re: BSOD when connecting to internet using dial-up services (yes some people still do this)

McAfee technician Basil phoned last night and logged on to our computer. He used McAfee WebMer to download a big batch of stored data including some program files, drivers, event logs, etc.

This appeared to me as if a REAL investigation has started rather than all the playing with dial-up settings they have done to date.

Lets wish them luck.

John

Dinz
Former Member
Message 52 of 186

Re: BSOD when connecting to internet using dial-up services (yes some people still do this)

Hi John,

Can you pass the Service request no from that technician so as I could review the data .

Thanks,

johnpt
Former Member
Message 53 of 186

Dinz

Service Request number 484570-741249668.

And the call was at about 20:10 last night 21/09/2011

John

johnpt
Former Member
Message 54 of 186

Dinz

This may also be of help or interest? It is the original request for help sent to McAfee.

I have the same problem as this post which I now believe is due to some relationship with McAfee.

https://community.mcafee.com/message/203773 

Blue screen on dial - up

I am contacting you as advised for this post

My problem

When I use dial-up to Orange (+44) 084405 64000

POP.orangehome.co.uk 

SMTP. orangehome.co.uk

The connection is made but as soon as data starts to exchange I get a very quick Blue Screen followed by an automatic restart.

So I can never complete a dial-up connection.

Broadband connection works OK

On restart the Microsoft problem reporting system says an un-attributable blue screen.

The problem started following a McAfee update in July 2011

There is no problem if I turn McAfee off

What I have done

1. Windows XP being used. Computer Compaq desk top 5443EA
  2. Removed Mcafee including the use of the removal tool & reinstalled latest version from web.
  3. Checked modem working OK using the XP checking tool
  4. Dleted & reloaded driver for modem  Conexant HSF V92 56k Driver 15/01/2004 Version 7.4.5.51
  5. Dialed – up to and logged on from another computer without Mcafee OK with no problem
  6. Changed to a new modem StarTech External V92 56k USB with different driver – Problem remains

Can you help / advise please?

Dinz
Former Member
Message 55 of 186

Thanks for the detailed report John,

However, this issue needs some investigation that requires McAfee logs , we are in the process on getting it up . Will keep you posted on the same.

Regards,

SHUBYDO61
Contributor
Message 56 of 186

so how long does it take to look at logs? this problem started in either late May or early June. Oh thats right until the other day McAfee was blaming everything except their software. Is McAfee going to reimburse all of their customers that were inconvenienced by this continueing problem?

As for me like I posted earlier I have the fix. Step 1. use control panel to uninstall McAfee software.

Step 2. use the MRCE program from McAfee's web sight to completly delete it.

Step 3. go out and purchase and install another companys anti virus program

Step 4. get on with your web browsing

jmckee
Contributor III
Message 57 of 186

There is a way around the problem that I discovered back in late May. What I found worked for both CompuServe and Juno was this:

- install AOL software 8 or above (demo CD will work)

- after booting the system , start AOL and let it get to Step 6 or 7 in the connect process , then cancel it

- close AOL

- open CS or Juno and all will work fine

Not elegant , but it works.

SHUBYDO61
Contributor
Message 58 of 186

do you have to do this every time you connect to the internet?  You should not have to infest your computer with AOL software to get McAfee to work.

I still think that my fix is more permenent. ( dumping McAfee all together)

jmckee
Contributor III
Message 59 of 186

SHUBYDO61 wrote:

do you have to do this every time you connect to the internet?  You should not have to infest your computer with AOL software to get McAfee to work.

I still think that my fix is more permenent. ( dumping McAfee all together)

It only has to be done once after booting up the system (or rebooting).

johnpt
Former Member
Message 60 of 186

I can't believe this - Last night there was another McAfee program update for my "total protection" and I have now lost my Outlook Express inbox view.

Microsft site tells me it is McAfee which has corrupted the Inbox.dbx file and I need a special version of McAfee because I use Outlook Express!!!! And I somehow need to uncorrupt the inbox file or replace it with back up.

Save me from McAfee

John

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community