cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 1 of 3

Any way to disable Auto-"Virus"-Deleting?

Hello everyone,

I've been searching for infos on the internet as well as on the offical McAfee site and my McAfee Total Protection settings. So far not successful.

My problem: I've got serveral files on my computer where I would like to judge whether delete them or not. For me it feels just annoying to see my new protection software destroys files I would like to keep. I don't want to stop McAfee from working all the time when I would like to use my files.

That's why my question is: do I have control on what gets deleted or not? Seemingly I can't but I do have some little hope rest. I am not that kind of people who are never facing the settings and before people had control on what their software is doing, I hope McAfee provides this freedom even if they might have to live with a "trojan".

A simply button in McAfees' settings to decide what to do with new found risks by the user would make my day - couldn't find any yet.

Greets,

xmad

Nachricht geändert durch xmad on 09.01.12 11:57:16 CST
2 Replies
tripodzid
Former Member
Message 2 of 3

Re: Any way to disable Auto-"Virus"-Deleting?

It is part of the McAfee AV feature. If the virus needs to be deleted, it will be so. Sometimes, you just have to trust on it's behavior.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 3

Re: Any way to disable Auto-"Virus"-Deleting?

xmad wrote:

Hello everyone,

I've been searching for infos on the internet as well as on the offical McAfee site and my McAfee Total Protection settings. So far not successful.

My problem: I've got serveral files on my computer where I would like to judge whether delete them or not. For me it feels just annoying to see my new protection software destroys files I would like to keep. I don't want to stop McAfee from working all the time when I would like to use my files.

That's why my question is: do I have control on what gets deleted or not? Seemingly I can't but I do have some little hope rest. I am not that kind of people who are never facing the settings and before people had control on what their software is doing, I hope McAfee provides this freedom even if they might have to live with a "trojan".

A simply button in McAfees' settings to decide what to do with new found risks by the user would make my day - couldn't find any yet.

Greets,

xmad

Nachricht geändert durch xmad on 09.01.12 11:57:16 CST

xmad,

It used to be possible to tell VirusScan to ignore files, but unfortunately they took that away and now it's only possible in a scheduled or manual scan but not for the real-time scanner.  We have asked for it's reintroduction as it still exists in the Corporate/Enterprise product.

Until then, if it ever happens, you can submit files for approval whilst temporarily disabling VirusScan.  For hints on that read here:  https://community.mcafee.com/thread/2016

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 16/02/12 6:03:50 EST AM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community