cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fuzwast
Former Member
Message 1 of 11

AntiVirus Plus - can't update DAT - "No Internet Connection - Check your connection and try again"

Any ideas?  My connection is just fine, except for McAfee.  I installed and ran the "virtual technician", which proves that my internet connection is fine.  No issues found.  This has happened before, then  magically fixes itself - sometimes a day or two later.

Just so it is clear - this version of McAfee has been installed on my computer for some time - months.  So this should have nothing to do with Norton or anything else - right?  This is flakey McAfee as far as I can tell.

Message was edited by: fuzwast on 9/25/13 11:23:26 AM CDT
10 Replies
stray-cat
Former Member
Message 2 of 11

Re: AntiVirus Plus - can't update DAT - "No Internet Connection - Check your connection and try again"

I couldn't update for several days recently (automatic or manual) and the virtual technician couldn't find anything either. To cut a long story short the solution that worked for me was to set the automatic updates to "download updates but notify me before installing", clicking Navigation, going to General Settings and Alerts, and deactivating Access Protection. After this I ran the virtual techician again, then restarted the computer. After this the updates worked as normal.

I'm not saying this will work for you as but give it try, and good luck.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 11

Re: AntiVirus Plus - can't update DAT - "No Internet Connection - Check your connection and try again"

If stray-cat's solution doesn't help I suggest contacting Technical Support directly, it's free of charge by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

fuzwast
Former Member
Message 4 of 11

You pretty much nailed it.  Hmmmm....  Working off of what you wrote, I:

1. disabled auto-update, then

2. deactivated Access Protection (per your directions), then

3. did a manual update - it worked this time, then

4. reenabled auto-update, then

5. reactiviated Access Protection.

It may be that all was required was the deactivate - update - reactivate, but I won't be able to try that until next time this happens.

Anyway, Cool!  for me, not cool for McAfee.

fuzwast
Former Member
Message 5 of 11

I try never to contact McAfee tech support - my experiences down that road always end badly and make McAfee look even worse.  If it comes to that, I uninstall and reinstall. 

I've documented my web chats with McAfee as case examples for customer service training companies, I hope maybe some good can come out that anyway.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 11

Did you guys run any registry cleaners that may have altered or removed registry keys and caused the issue to start with?    It isn't a normkal situation to be in, but glad it's fixed for you.  Good luck.

fuzwast
Former Member
Message 7 of 11

Just on a lark, I (having reactivated Access Protection), tried a manual updated and - got the "No Internet Connection" message again.

So, I just deactivated Access Protection and - the manual update process ran without error. 

I conclude that Access Protection is somehow getting in the way of - even checking for - updates.    That isn't good.

fuzwast
Former Member
Message 8 of 11

no registry cleaner operation that I'm aware of. 

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 11

It looks like something about your Network isn't set correctly but what I have no idea.

Access Protection is there to stop outside influences from falsely altering McAfee settings....it's one of the steps to preventing certain infections from working.  I know you have problems with the suggestion of Technical Support but you could tell them you already tried their help and ask them to escalate the matter this time around.

jwabbott
Former Member
Message 10 of 11

Had the same issue. Discovered that the adobe acrobat updates needed to be installed.  Once I did this the issue disappeared.  Sounds like the McAfee update is red flagging the proxy server when it's adobe software bits and pieces are not up to date. Hope this helps.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community