Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Perka
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Anti-virus and firewall in LiveSafe and Total Protection

Jump to solution

Is there a difference in the security and protection given by McAfee LiveSafe and Total Protection when it comes to anti-virus and firewall?

Are the protection engines the same or does one give a stronger (or different) protection than the other?

I can find no information that explains this.

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
CraigSchmugar
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 9

Re: Anti-virus and firewall in LiveSafe and Total Protection

Jump to solution

There are no material anti-virus or firewall differences between LiveSafe and Total Protection.

There is a material difference with the latest, Next-Gen Threat Protection, being rolled out to both LiveSafe and Total Protection users.

View solution in original post

bateman7
Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Jump to solution

A third-party atv is kinda dead nowadays. You just need the Windows defender for your system and the Ublock origin for your browser. Privacy wise speaking you wouldn't like your data handled to another party.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
krishna55
Message 2 of 9

Jump to solution

Hi @Perka,

Greetings from McAfee.

Kindly browse through home.mcafee.com to know more about the different security suites that are available.

Regards,

Krishnamanikandan KS

Perka
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Jump to solution

Hi Krishnamanikandan,

Thanks for your suggestion. However, on the page you point to there is absolutely no information about LiveSafe (it's not even mentioned), so it does not at all help me.

I am not interested in "what is available" as described on the front page. I have subscriptions to both "Total Protection" and "LiveSafe", and both are available for extension. That's why I would like to know what the difference is between those two. I'm not particularly interested in McAfee+ (why would I be?) which the page you point to talks about.

CraigSchmugar
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 9

Jump to solution

There are no material anti-virus or firewall differences between LiveSafe and Total Protection.

There is a material difference with the latest, Next-Gen Threat Protection, being rolled out to both LiveSafe and Total Protection users.

Perka
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Jump to solution

Thank you Craig!

Strange that McAfee can't say that more clearly in their marketing material.

EWS_Fsociety
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Jump to solution

Hello,
I think marketing is for "the general public", who, perhaps, are less concerned with how the product works.
However, the basis between the two products remains the same.
The difference comes from additional module in LiveSafe.
Total Protection has lost the parental control module for example (which is a shame).

EWS.

jude47
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Jump to solution
A third-party atv is kinda dead nowadays. You just need the Windows defender for your system and the Ublock origin for your browser. Privacy wise speaking you wouldn't like your data handled to another party.
bateman7
Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Jump to solution

Tania_Gomez
Contributor II
Message 9 of 9

Jump to solution

McAfee LiveSafe and Total Protection both give solid antivirus and firewall protection with similar security engines. Total Protection usually comes with extra features like encrypted storage and password management. Your choice should depend on your specific needs. Regardless of the McAfee product, keeping the software updated, enabling automatic scans, and practicing safe online habits are key for maximum security.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community