cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
newkphoto
Former Member
Message 1 of 10

Another Windows 7 install/McAfee reinstall problem

In the process of doing an upgrade install of Windows 7 over Vista, as advised I uninstalled my McAfee Security Center, which came with a 15-month subscription pre-installed on my Dell computer when I bought it in May. I used the Windows unintall tool, not the uninstall tool from the McAfee website. I have roughly 10 months left on that subscription. When I tried to reinstall McAfee using the disk that came with my computer, I was advised that the version was outdated and, thus, not compatible with Windows 7. How do I install the newest version of McAfee? I have a product code on the disk I have, but don't think I have an account, user name or log-in information for initiating a free download of the latest version from the McAfee website. Please advise on how to identify myself to McAfee and gain access to the free download.

9 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 10

Re: Another Windows 7 install/McAfee reinstall problem

First enable Windows Firewall for added protection, if not already enabled.

Run the MCPR removal tool:  http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507

Reboot.

Install not from the CD but from your online account which is created as soon as you activate/register your McAfee product.  I would imagine that was already done so there must be an online account.

DELL users should go to https://us.mcafee.com/root/login.asp?affid=105 and log in to download your software.

That should give you SecurityCenter 9.15 which I assure you is Windows 7 compatible (32 and 64-bit).

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 11/11/09 9:58 AM
poorsoldier
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Did that.  Didn't work. Getting Frustrated.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 10

Hi Poorsoldier, as this is rather an old thread exactly what's the problem?

poorsoldier
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

The Dell laptop I bought last fall came pre-loaded with Windows 7 (64 bit) and McAfee.  It appeared to operate and update correctly for the first few months.  My McAfee saga began about two months ago when Security Center prompted that my system need updating.  I have since uninstalled the software so I am probably somewhat inaccurate describing the actual system messages.  I was prompted with the indications saying that my virus profiles needed updating and my email scan needed to be enabled.  When I selected the option to “Fix,” as I had done in the past, the update would fail and a pop-up appeared with a vague message something to the effect of “your computer needs to be manually corrected.”  With it consistentely failing in this fashion, I desided to uninstall and then reinstall following directions from McAfee, including following the prompt to https://us.mcafee.com/root/login.asp?affid=105  for a Dell pre-install.  However, when I ran the install, it hung about one quarter through the install process and I receive a message to the effect of “Your system needs to have a compatable operating system.” 

I’ve seen reference in various bullitin boards indicating there might be an incompatiblity between Windows 7 (64 bit) and McAfee, so I uninstalled it and have since installed Microsoft’s Security Essentials to give me at least some protection. 

My theory right now is that there is something in the internet service I’m using while I’m overseas.  It’s a satelite internet connection through a British serivce provider which is first routed through a Linux proxy server. 

I’ve given up for now and will probably re-attack the problem when I get back to the States and I have more confidence in the internet connection.  But, if you have any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.  Thanks.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 10

There is an issue with Dell Notebooks which is being worked on but it shouldn't be happening with Dell laptops and you should have opened a case with Technical Support Chat (Useful Links above) - maybe you can do that on yhour return to the "States.

ozpete
Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Hi

I too am having problems reinstalling McAfee on Windows 7 (Dell Mini10) and your mention of a known problem with notebooks piqued my interest.  I have tried contacting LiveChat but unfortunately the person I spoke with could only suggest that the problem was with my broadband connection - I had phrased the problem as being a very slow download 90MB in 5 hours.

Is there a known issue with installation on a netbook of my ilk?  If so, is there any workaround available?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 10

Hi ozpete,

I'll probably get shot at dawn for suggesting it, but I would go for something else for now until they've sorted it out.

There is most definitely an issue with Dell Mini notebooks of any flavour.

On another note, I had Windows 7 on mine but reverted to XP SP3 as it was so slow.  Mind you, I could probably have settled for something less than Windows 7 Ultimate.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 03/05/10 6:55:29 EDT AM
ozpete
Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Thanks for the speedy reply.  Nice to know the cause of the problem but disappointing that there is no solution, as yet. I have installed the free version of AVG as a temporary solution.  Any idea of when the issue might be fixed?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 10

No not yet unfortunately.  I'll post when I do.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community