cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mbecks
Contributor III
Message 41 of 74

Re: Annoying McAfee Popup Spam - How to Disable?

Jump to solution

This does not work. McAfee needs to fix this on their end.

Mbecks
Contributor III
Message 42 of 74

Jump to solution

The pop ups everyone is talking about are not browser pop-ups but pop-ups directly from McAfee software on your desktop. They aren’t important pop-ups about security updates or issues but simple marketing pop-ups suggestions more products.

RobertZed
Contributor II
Message 43 of 74

Jump to solution

This is correct.  If they were "operational" updates (ie: you have a virus, etc.), it would be an expected notification as that is why most folks likely purchase the produce.  They are mostly "you should buy this or you will have problems" notifications which are essentially spam, something that should either not happen or you should have the option to opt out.  Basically, McAfee closed the door to everyone else once they got inside and then they themselves became the problem.

RobertZed
Contributor II
Message 44 of 74

Jump to solution

This would totally resolve the issue.  Big however, however, is that you cannot do this (at least on the version I have).  

I can get to the General Settings and Alerts.  I see General Settings, Information Alerts, and Access Protection when I get there.   If I try to get to those darn information alerts by expanding that options, it tells me that "Informational alerts let you know about events related to your protection status."  This is great except that it such information also includes other crap you should be buy.  There is a greyed out "Apply" button BUT nowhere is there a parameters to change, box to click, etc. to enable that Apply button to actually stop the information.  Obviously, it would be unlikely a user wouldn't want true information (you got a virus, etc.) but the spam to buy stuff is information I do not need.  It is right up there will those helpful folks telling me my extended warranty is expired 3 - 5 times a week.  If I want something, I will seek it out; I do not want to be harassed without a mechanism to block that harassment.

tgria
Contributor II
Message 45 of 74

Jump to solution

It feels like you thought the police would protect you but it turned out them being no different from the robbers, doesn't it? 😂 And what's even worse was you actually paid for it 😅

Irritated2
Contributor II
Message 46 of 74

Jump to solution

When I attempted to follow the instructions for disabling notifications within McAfee, (Open McAfee >> Settings >> General Settings >> Information alerts), there was NO OPTION TO DISABLE NOTIFICATIONS under information alerts. There was just a grayed out option saying "ALLOW".

Mbecks
Contributor III
Message 47 of 74

Jump to solution

Haha yes they have been telling people to disable pop-ups with the same pre-written answer for a long time even though they disabled the ability to do it years ago.

Peacekeeper
Message 48 of 74

Jump to solution

The help seems to says an option is there or maybe coming so far I have not seen such

In the new version of McAfee, you can disable the informational alerts only from the informational pop-up messages that appear on your screen.

To disable these alerts, follow the steps below. For example, suppose the pop-up appears at the bottom right of your screen:

1. Click the

settings icon in the pop up.

2. Choose Don't show this alert again option. 

Though this would probably not fix Marketing popups

dwj
Contributor
Message 49 of 74

Jump to solution
Some new management has arrived & they are killing their customer base with opups, misinformation messages & annoyances..Make the music STOP... you are doing more harm than good...your instructions to disable are worthless ( what else is new )
TomK1
Contributor II
Message 50 of 74

Jump to solution

It seems to be the marketing ones that are the most intrusive, and there is no settings button available on them.  How convenient for McAfee marketing.

McAfee Pop up notification2.PNG

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community