cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nimarus
Contributor II
Message 1 of 73

Annoying McAfee Popup Spam - How to Disable?

Jump to solution

I've always had to deal with McAfee trying their best to be helpful...too helpful. Every day when I first turn on my computer, I have to swat away messages from McAfee out of my face, wanting me to use their VPN or something. I had turned off my auto-renewal a while back and now have to deal with daily "Please turn auto-renewal back on" messages. Is there a "Shut up" button in the settings to have McAfee quietly do the service I paid for?

I can't help but notice I never got daily spam popups warning me of the $99 charge when my account renewed for another year. But the moment I turn auto-renewal off, I get asked to turn it on almost every single day. But yeah, a "Stop Spamming McAfee Popups" feature would be nice. This very reason is why I'm planning to drop McAfee and switching to someone else. It's also why I can't recommend McAfee to anyone.

ALERT: The solution pinned to my question IS NOT A SOLUTION! It's a canned response that did nothing to fix the problem.

3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Hari_durairaj
Message 2 of 73

Re: Annoying McAfee Popup Spam - How to Disable?

Jump to solution

Hi @Nimarus 

Greetings from McAfee

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused. Kindly follow the below steps and update us the issue status

• Disable information alerts in McAfee (Open McAfee >> Settings >> General Settings >> Information alerts)
  • Disable Sites notification on your browser (Open Browser >> Settings >> Security and Privacy >> Site Settings >> Notifications)

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.

Regards,
Hari 

View solution in original post

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 73

Jump to solution

The expiry popups are Marketing group controlled as we ex volunteer mods were told and no-one can get them stopped. I assume they garner more sales than they lose. As well as disabling informational alerts in the settings make sure all browser options re notifications are off for McAfee items.

Funny on my long trial I get I rarely see any popups bar the Please enable secure search with I say no to and it only comes after a program update.

Best of luck

Nimarus
Contributor II
Message 5 of 73

Jump to solution

Moderator's solution is completely worthless. Just got the "Your identity can be sold all over the dark web." Then given the option to "Accept Risk" or "Get Protection." Pushing fear ads on paying customers to scare them into forking out even more money. Same tactics used by Malware. McAfee is completely worthless now in my opinion. I can't put my trust in a company that uses these tactics.

72 Replies
Hari_durairaj
Message 2 of 73

Jump to solution

Hi @Nimarus 

Greetings from McAfee

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused. Kindly follow the below steps and update us the issue status

• Disable information alerts in McAfee (Open McAfee >> Settings >> General Settings >> Information alerts)
  • Disable Sites notification on your browser (Open Browser >> Settings >> Security and Privacy >> Site Settings >> Notifications)

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.

Regards,
Hari 

ladyquake
Contributor II
Message 3 of 73

Jump to solution

Sorry to add to this thread, but I still get the annoying popups after turning the notifications off. for a while been about subscription nearly expired that started couple months ago. But has been other things, If gaming it goes off the game. People know when it expires or could just do it a couple days before expired.  Unless it is really cheap think because of popups considering having just Windows Defender. when runs out.

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 73

Jump to solution

The expiry popups are Marketing group controlled as we ex volunteer mods were told and no-one can get them stopped. I assume they garner more sales than they lose. As well as disabling informational alerts in the settings make sure all browser options re notifications are off for McAfee items.

Funny on my long trial I get I rarely see any popups bar the Please enable secure search with I say no to and it only comes after a program update.

Best of luck

Nimarus
Contributor II
Message 5 of 73

Jump to solution

Moderator's solution is completely worthless. Just got the "Your identity can be sold all over the dark web." Then given the option to "Accept Risk" or "Get Protection." Pushing fear ads on paying customers to scare them into forking out even more money. Same tactics used by Malware. McAfee is completely worthless now in my opinion. I can't put my trust in a company that uses these tactics.

TAMAC
Contributor
Message 6 of 73

Jump to solution

Agreed.  McAfee does not provide a solution to stop this garbage.  I turned off my auto-renwal because I am not going to renew.  I will got to Norton.  These popups are worse than bad websites.  After I set my autorenewal to aff, I now get constant pop ups telling me to turn in back on.

I will call for a refund tomorrow since I just renewed.  I should not have to pop up with this kind of junk when I am paying $100 a year for it!

Good bye McAfee!

TAMAC
Contributor
Message 7 of 73

Jump to solution

Agreed.  They offer no solution.  Switch to Norton

meckhart
Contributor
Message 8 of 73

Jump to solution

I REFUSE to have ANY mcafee product on anything I own. I have NEVER had malware, or a virus or anything that was WORSE than mcafee!! Mcafee gets on your system and is harder to remove than any malware type program I have ever have. I would say that I absolutely HATE mcafee, but hate is not a strong enough word. 

HEY MCAFEE, IF YOU ARE READING THIS, YOU SUCK!! 

wastecan
Contributor
Message 9 of 73

Jump to solution

These messages will be the end of my subscription.  Correct this before my subscription ends or I will not renew.

digitig
Contributor II
Message 10 of 73

Jump to solution

These are driving me crazy. Unfortunately, my experience with Norton is even worse. Looking now for another alternative to McAfee *and* Norton, because there's no way I can put up with this spam on my desktop.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community