cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peacekeeper
Message 231 of 358

Re: AnalyticsSDK process and possible memory leak

Jump to solution

I have asked as an agenda item (Monday 4pm call) for this to be confirmed ie how to check if you have the fix

olegr
Former Member
Message 232 of 358

Jump to solution

Thank you. Nevertheless there does not exist such thing as "final" fix. May I give you some advice? I have solid experience as a top level senior engineer at Silicon Valley company (obviously) involved in customer support, so may be my advice will be not terribly stupid.

Periodically somebody from McAfee team will put a message into this blog with content like the following:

"Hello, everybody. Today we did make some changes in our code which could affect the issue. If you have you McAfee automatic update feature enabled, there is a chance that it has already been installed on your computer. Just check (this and that) to make sure. Could you please provide us information if the problem has been fixed on your PC? Please also provide us with the following information about your system: (this and that). If the problem is not fixed yet we will continue to work on this matter. Thank you in advance, -- your McAfee engineering team."

At  present time your customers just collect the folks. It makes people nervous.

nuhairi
Contributor
Message 233 of 358

Jump to solution

Peackepper: Check C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\ClientAnalytics folder: If date that file is same as last update and after Feb 1 you probably have it. we will request a better way of checking in our Monday call.

So, mine is still not updated? My McAfee last updated on 5 Feb 2017.

teapot
Contributor
Message 234 of 358

Jump to solution

not sure what happened but appears another mcafee update totally locked up my win10 machine again temporarily.   After uninstall and reinstall from last week, all was ok for several days with client analytics off.   Just now after working find for 30 minutes, browser (chrome) totally froze.   Could not get out to any site.   Shut down chrome and noticed other instances  of chrome still running in taskmanager.   Killed all I could (one couldn't be killed) but would not relaunch.   Noticed analytics process again running.   Rebooted machine,could not get online via browser.   Opened command window and tried to ping on internet, everything timed out.   Tried open from mcafee task bar icon "configure firewall".   No dialogue for about 5 minutes.  Finally came up  and turned firewall off.  Browser immediately began responding again.   Went to control panel and disabled analytics service again (had been changed on me to be manual).   Did a check for updates.  Claimed it found none (least none it told me about).   Turned back on firewall and seemed ok for a while until I get a popup that said "firewall is off"???????      Went back into firewall settings (responded immediately this time) and was again showing off.  Turned it back on and seems ok right now.

Just checked my analytics legacy version directory based on comments about "do you have the fix" and looks like the push of this caused the temporary havoc on my machine again.   Have disabled analytics service  again (it actually stopped this time when I told it to stop).

Not sure if it was still trying to complete the install after a reboot, but sure hope I don't have to go through this every time something new is pushed on me.

johnbel
Contributor
Message 235 of 358

Jump to solution

I am running Windows 10 but not chrome. I have McClientanalyticsSDK continually consuming 55 to 66 % CPU ( only using 2MB memory, 0 disk and 0 network) . I can not delete this process. Restarting the pc has no effect.  From other posts I am trying to uninstall McAfee Total . Uninstall has been running for over 3 hours but has not done anything.   Any other suggestions would be appreciated

windymiller
Contributor
Message 236 of 358

Jump to solution

johnbel, I was also unable to uninstall McAfee via the normal route, but found that a two-year-old copy of the McAfee Consumer Product Removal tool (MCPR.exe) did get rid of it, and got me back up & running.  So, if you can find an old copy of that program on your machine, or if you can download it from http://us.mcafee.com/apps/supporttools/mcpr/mcpr.asp​ via another, working machine, perhaps that would work for you too?

johnbel
Contributor
Message 237 of 358

Jump to solution

Thank you.  I downloaded the MCPR from the link you specified, but downloaded file will not open.  I am using the problem machine that is working somewhat and still trying to uninstall McAfee total.  McAfee removal status shows half way but it has been like that for a logn time. Started the uninstall 5 hours ago.

teapot
Contributor
Message 238 of 358

Jump to solution

johnbel,

Same thing happened on one of my machines.   I gave it over 8 hours and it never completed.  Finally just forced a shutdown and found "enough of it" was gone that the machine became usable.   Then the MCPR cleaned up "most" of the rest.

As for this same machine, it seems to have gotten the "fix" today and started analytics service again like on the other machine yesterday.    Browser locked up and entire machine became unresponsive.   Checked taskmanager and analytics was pegging the CPU often higher than in the screen shot below.  Tried rebooting but machine wouldn't completely shut down after 10 minutes.   Did a hard button power off.   On reboot, couldn't get to internet and like other machine, had to disable firewall and did a check for updates (found none).   Went to taskmanager, stopped and disabled analytics service which had gotten re-enabled again.    Looks like install was still going on reboot as got a message about "touring features".    After that machine seemed "responsive" but like on other machine, I've manually disabled analytics.

windymiller
Contributor
Message 239 of 358

Jump to solution

Hi Johnbel, if it was me, I would hold down the power button until the machine shuts down. You could then restart and run MCPR.exe.  OR you could restart, and instead immediately go to services and disable the ClientAnalytics service. That might work and allow you to keep using McAfee (it's been working that way ok for me for the last couple of days).

johnbel
Contributor
Message 240 of 358

Jump to solution

I did as you suggested and McAfee was gone when restarted.  At the same time, I believe McAfee sent an update that corrected the problem.  Looks like all ok. Thank you very much

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community