cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DannyCh
Contributor III
Message 1 of 8

Advertising pop-ups

Like many others, I am receiving relentless pop-up ads from McAfee trying to get me to upgrade from Total Protection to PC Optimizer.

I wasted an hour on this last night, then another hour plus today with tech support un-installing and reinstalling McAfee.

The problem came back within 5 minutes, but the hapless techy had already declared the job closed. I'm not trying to reconnect in a chat, but have had the "connecting you in 1 minute" message for 1/2 an hour now. So we are past 2.5 hours of my time.

I'm not sure this kind of unsolicited advertising is even legal under Australian consumer law.

I want to give some feedback on the atrocious customer service I've received, but I also really want this junk advertising to go away.

Can someone please help.

Screenshot 2023-03-31 114025.pngScreenshot 2023-03-31 114053.pngScreenshot 2023-03-31 124211.png

7 Replies
Hari_durairaj
Message 2 of 8

Re: Advertising pop-ups

Hi @DannyCh 

We regret for the inconvenience!

I have sent a personal message. Kindly revert back with the requested details to assist you further.

Alternatively, You can always contact the chat support using below link for immediate assistance.

McAfee Support

Regards,
Hari Durairaj

DannyCh
Contributor III
Message 3 of 8

Thanks

I've replied.

But since this problem doesn't seem unique to me, some sort of public response is also required -- can you clarify if this sort of spamming-advertising behaviour is legal under Australian consumer law? It certainly doesn't seem ethical.

Regards

DannyCh
Contributor III
Message 4 of 8

^ still waiting on advice as to whether this kind of built-in advertising is legal under Australian consumer law.
I thought that's part of what anti-trust legislation was for, but waiting on confirmation from McAfee since they have built-in this annoying feature.

KIDIDAHO
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

This seems to be endemic to the antivirus providers.

I have ended my last 2 subscriptions a few weeks early because of this behaviour.

McAffee is really trying its best to be number 3.

Why, after we have already paid for their products, we have to put up with this BS is beyond understanding.

Right now, I have a pop up on my desktop that I can't remove. It is about identity theft. I have locked up my credit reports Etc., and don't need this, but cannot get rid of the ad.

McAffee is not earning my respect at all because of this.

DannyCh
Contributor III
Message 6 of 8

^ still waiting on advice as to whether this kind of built-in advertising is legal under Australian consumer law.
I thought that's part of what anti-trust legislation was for, but waiting on confirmation from McAfee since they have built-in this annoying feature.

JandP
Contributor II
Message 7 of 8

What I don't understand is why McAfee support keeps offering in these discussions to engage in a private discussion with a customer posting this problem, when this is obviously something that is irritating to many folks (and has been for years now, in multiple threads).  If there is a solution, then why can't that solution be publicly provided in this support conversation?  Why all the secrecy about it?

DannyCh
Contributor III
Message 8 of 8

@Hari_durairaj 

It's been how many months now? How about a public reply?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community