cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MaxRob
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

need help troubleshooting wireless disconnections

My laptop came with McAfee installed and I'm using the trial.

Including (too much?) background info, bolded is the main thing.

Coincidentally, I think, because I haven't been logging the issue, wirelessly connected devices seem to be bumping others offline. One laptop (without McAfee) can be successfully online but when the other connects (with McAfee) the wireless connection drops and then the newer connection also drops. And vice versa.

I noticed that in the firewall log the modem IP is listed as being blocked and it correctly says it's "on your own network". It's the basic IP used to access the modem interface so it seemed like it could be the culprit. This seems odd to me but I don't really understand this stuff. Should I allow that IP or does it mean I have an internal problem I need to pursue?

I have run Malwarebytes and it an McAfee have never found an issue. I did see in other posts something about not using Malwarebytes trial, which is what installed when I downloaded it. I don't know how to get the free version by itself so that may also be something I need to do.

I should also include that I did have something weird happen. In the midst of all this, several days ago, the mouse cursor changed appearance and my search changed to Amazon. I immediately ran scans that were negative. It hasn't happened again. I unchecked Amazon search in Firefox and a restart fixed the cursor. I am pretty sure the dropping issue started before this but now I'm not sure.

The next step is to turn off the firewall and see if that fixes it but I still have concerns McAfee knows something I don't.

Do I need to useGetSusp or is this a know issue with McAfee I can just override and allow the modem's IP?

Thank you!

UPDATE: ran GetSup no problems. I also noticed that the modem IP address is listed under the wireless entry for OK IP addresses. The problem hasn't persisted to the extent it did the day I was prompted to post my initial question so I dunno. Alternating getting online with the two laptops while the firewall was off eliminated the problem but we only tried that for a few minutes. Again...I dunno.

3 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 4

Re: need help troubleshooting wireless disconnections

Re malware-bytes I use it there is no free trial that does not install real time scanning but one can disable that feature. It is also only active for 2 weeks of the trial then the feature deactivates so I understand.

Re the IP best a mod replies

MaxRob
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Thank you.

I didn't understand the reference to avoiding the trial but figured it could be important to mention.

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 4

The trial of Malware bytes activates its own real time scanning feature. This if it scans at the same time as McAfee might cause issues so I suggest disabling that feature In the trial. I have and malware bytes runs fine with McAfee if this is done. The feature is disabled after 2 weeks of trial so not really an issue to get worried about.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community