cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
monkeyboy401
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

firewall service not running

I have recently tried to configure my firewall but when i tried it wouldn't let me and keeps insisting i upgrade from 7.1 to 10.3 and that i should click fix to fix the problem. However i am unable to do this. Whenever i tell it to fix it always says the problem needs my response. Does anyone know how to fix it?
Labels (2)
7 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 8

RE: firewall service not running

Please include the following information:

What is your operating system, service pack and are you up to date with Microsoft update?

What McAfee products do you have? If your taskbar icon is like this: - right-click it and go to each application "About" and post the details.
If it is like this: - double-click to open SecurityCenter and then click "View Details" or "About" at the lower right of the new window. Post the details from each module.

PFP 7 is no longer supported so you may have to use a removal tool but I need to know the above information first.
monkeyboy401
Former Member
Message 3 of 8

firewall service not running

i have recently upgraded my mcafee but now it says that my firewall service isn't working. I have upgraded it to 10.3 and whenever i go to configure it, it just says that it isn't running. can any one help me
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 8

I see you've posted a new thread but haven't bothered answering me here. Assuming you are using a supported operating system. Enable Windows Firewall then do the following:

How to Uninstall Personal Firewall 6 and 7: http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100058&lang=en_US&prior_tid=2&AnswerID=16777216&turl...

This may be the cause of your problems so scroll down to the manual removal method.

Do that first, reboot if asked and then do the following:

1. Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".

2. Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MC... This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer. (you must have Windows Vista, XP or 2000 SP4 to use this tool)

3. Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!
In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming

4. Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site. (NOT from any CD that you may have).

For future reference, never upgrade such an old application, especially one that jumps several versions - this applies to anything basically. Better to uninstall the old first and then install the new.
monkeyboy401
Former Member
Message 5 of 8

sorry about posting another thread. But i Have managed to fix the problem with the upgrading to 10.3 and now have another the problem I posted on the other thread.
My settings are:
Security center:version-9.3
Build-9.3.137
Affid- 105-66
language- en-gb
Virusscan:version-13.3
build-13.3.115
language-en-gb
engine version-5300.2777
Personal firewall:version-10.3
build-10.3.106
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 8

OK I've combined the threads. What is your operating system and service pack?
Also do you have any other protection software installed?

I think the issue here is still that you upgraded and it may benefit from a complete uninstall/cleanup and reinstall as in post #4.
monkeyboy401
Former Member
Message 7 of 8

sorry about all of this confusion but thanks to you it is finally fixed and working perfectly. thank you for all of the advice you have given it has been incredibly helpful.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 8

Glad you are OK now. Moved to the solved area.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community