cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stuartclubb
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

Windows 7 Backup

I'm sure that this is a "variation on a theme", but I'm close to dumping McAfee and moving to a.n.other provider for the 5 PC's at home.

I recently built my wife a new PC on Win7 64-bit. We have a Wireless-N Dlink router into which a Western Digital Mybook II is connected for backup storage.

Every time the automated backup on the windows7 desktop runs, it fails, giving a message about not finding the network resource.

If I disable McAfee firewall, then the backup works.

My corporate laptop runs Symantec virus and firewall and has never failed a backup on my home network, again, running Win7 64-bit.

All other machines can see the Win-7 desktop running McAfee, and while connects are slow (probably the firewall?) they do seem to hold up.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Stuart

4 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 5

Re: Windows 7 Backup

Stuart,

Could you please let us know if you have any network drives in your back up selection ? Also, please provide us with a screen shot of the error message that would help us to proceed further on this.

Thanks,

Dinesh K

McAfee Online Community Moderator

ConorD62
Former Member
Message 3 of 5

Have you tried adding an exception in the firewall for the backup program?

stuartclubb
Former Member
Message 4 of 5

Yes, there is an exception for the program.

stuartclubb
Former Member
Message 5 of 5

Your posting gave me an idea.

I mapped the network path to a drive (drive Z:) and for the first time, the backup succeeded. I will leave it running this week and see what happens.

Will also do some screen shots for the the failures if they appear again.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community