Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
finalstraw
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

Strange Port Blocking Internet Access

Hello,

I was having a look through my Firewall settings when I noticed that the following port was ticked as Open:

Intel WIDI Ports 40000-49999

I didn't know what this port was so Googled it - Intel WIDI seems to be something to do with wireless video streaming and those ports also seem to be connected with a few games, telephony etc.

I do not have any of those things on my PC, so I unticked the port to close it.

However, with that port closed I was unable to connect to the internet.  My internet browser told me I had no connection, and so on.

Once I ticked the port to open it again, my internet connection was restored.

This concerned me, as it seemed very strange that this port should control my internet access.

I am running:

McAfee Security Center, Version 12.8, Build 12.8.856

Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1

Does anyone else have the same thing happen when opening/closing that port?  If so, I guess it is just a McAfee thing.

Alternatively, could any kind of malware be responsible for this?

Thank you in advance for your help.

7 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 8

Re: Strange Port Blocking Internet Access

Do you connect wirelessly to the Internet?  That would appear perhaps to be the port used for you connection.  Are you using a  laptop and a wireless hub or router perhaps?

Maybe your PC maker or supplier set that up as the onlly way for you to reach the outside world.

The best people to answer this in a proper way would be Technical Support.  It's free to contact them by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this,page.

finalstraw
Former Member
Message 3 of 8

Thank you for your reply.

It is a wired connection - my PC is plugged into the router.

Ok, I guess I'll try tech support then.

Thanks again.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 8

I'm still thinking about this one.

In Device Manager under Modems and/or Network Adapters (& perhaps also in your Control Panel > Network & Internet > Network Center), do you perhaps have nore than one network up and running?

Intel WiDi coiuld be used for connecting your PC to a Smart TV for instance - which in turn may be being used as the connection which of course wouldn't work unless the TV was on.

I know my PC will get confused by more than one network connection and decide there isn't one just to be annoying, until I disable one.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 27/10/13 7:50:26 EDT AM
finalstraw
Former Member
Message 5 of 8

In both those places, I can only see one network.  I'm certainly not an expert at this though, so it's possible I might be missing something.  However, I've only ever set up one wifi router so I don't think there could be another network.

Also, I've never set my PC up to connect to a Smart TV.  All that networking TVs to view the internet sounds a bit fiddly, so I've never meddled in it!

Thanks again, I do appreciate your thoughts.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 8

How strange.  I am no more expert than you are in these things so Tech Support really is probably your best bet.

finalstraw
Former Member
Message 7 of 8

Hi again,

Just to let you know what happened...

I ran the Virtual Technician which found no problems.

I then phoned Tech Support.  The guy I spoke to seemed to think it was nothing to worry about and that I should just keep that port enabled.  I don't think he knew specifically why this port would be enabling/disabling my internet connection though... but he seemed to think I shouldn't be concerned.

Thanks again for your help, Peter.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 8

That's good but if it worries you, you could always contact them again and ask for escalation.  However it might be a good idea to find support for that particular model of PC.   They may know.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community