cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
beatlefan
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

Should I Try System Restore?

I've been experiencing the same firewall off problem that it seems many other on this forum have been experiencing.  I've already tried several things such as running Malwarebytes, running a full virus scan, running fixit, etc. and none of these has solved the problem.  My McAfee firewall is still off.

So I'm just wondering what some of the mods think of trying a system restore.  I know exactly when this problem started because I can see where McAfee stopped logging suspicious incoming event when I go to "Security History" under the Navigation tab.  If I were to do a system restore to to, let's say, the day prior to that, what is the collective thinking regarding the possibility that that will work?

I'm running Win XP SP3 SC version 12.1 Build 12.1.338.

5 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

Re: Should I Try System Restore?

You could certainly try that but the problem may then return when updates occur, hopefully not.   Are you thinking it could be malware?  If not Technical Support is there free of charge by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

beatlefan
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

I ran the free version of Malwarebytes and it found a Trojan and one other item (which I don't remember) and quarantined those items.  While that didn't solve the firewall issue, it did seem to solve another issue that I had which was that the computer was not shutting down (it would just hang up on the screen showing "Windows is Shutting Down" but it wouldn't shut down until I forcibly shut it down).  Now at least, the computer shuts down without a forcible shutdown, but as I said, the firewall problem is still there.

Yes, I was planning to call Tech Support at some point in time, but I need to carve out a block of time to devote to that since I don't know how long it will take to sort out the issue and once you start making changes on the computer, you need to go to some completion point and not stop in the middle.  So that may be one of my upcoming weekend activities.  If nothing else, I'm sure that an uninstall/reinstall will be part of the Tech Support process and that all by itself takes about an hour based on past experience without doing anything else.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

Tech Support should be able to help once you are sure malware is gone.  There is apparently a known issue with Windows and McAfee Firewall but apparently there are a few causes so no single cure unfortunately.

beatlefan
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

Thanks Peter.  I'll try going the Tech Support route before doing a system restore.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 6

Good luck 😉

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community