cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrepuski
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 21 of 60

Re: Serious Firewall bug with Mcafee Internet Security 12.8. Help!!!

sydneyguy,

I skimmed through the post, I am not sure what is occurring and why.

Here is what I understand.

- You are using a direct connection to the Internet using a USB Modem.

- You have the Windows network set to public.

- You have the Windows network set to prevent access to shares and printing

- You changed traffic control to stealth. 

- Does the McAfee network also show as public?

- Do you have a Ports and System Services created and enabled (checked)?

- Do you have any other IP's or networks added under My Network Connections?

- What OS are you running?

If we can't determine what is occurring with this data there are some logs that could be gathered that might help.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 22 of 60

sydneyguy
Former Member
Message 23 of 60

I skimmed through the post, I am not sure what is occurring and why.

Here is what I understand.

- You are using a direct connection to the Internet using a USB Modem.  YES

- You have the Windows network set to public.  YES

- You have the Windows network set to prevent access to shares and printing YEs as well as No Network Discovery

- You changed traffic control to stealth.  YES

- Does the McAfee network also show as public?  Where do I check this?  In Windows Control Panel it says i am in Public mode

- Do you have a Ports and System Services created and enabled (checked)?  I checked the settings and turned off Remote Access (ie unticked the box)

- Do you have any other IP's or networks added under My Network Connections?  No other networks.  I am not even on a LAN

- What OS are you running?  Windows 7 64 bit fully patched and updated.  I also run Zemana antilogger, EMET, WinPatrol and always do regular antivirus checks with Mcaffee, Malwarebytes, Hitman Pro and recently Windows Security Scanner

sydneyguy
Former Member
Message 24 of 60

mrepuski

I also have Virtualbox installed but have had it this way for a long time.  Dont think this is any issue.  Never was with the old version of Mcaffee

mrepuski
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 25 of 60

It sounds like all service ports are off or unticked, this is what we want.

To check the settings for the McAfee Firewall perform the following

Click the m icon in the tool tray

Click the web and Email Protection Tile

Click the Firewall Drawer

You should see a large list of drawer that belong the the firewall

Look under my network connections

What do you see.

My gues you have one for your ISP network connection and at least one more for Virtual Box

The ISP network should be public. It must match the settings from Windows.

I can't see Virtual box contributing to this issue at this point.

sydneyguy
Former Member
Message 26 of 60

Yes there are two and BOTH are Public. 

In Ports and Services tab, I have no more than the default ports ticked.  In fact i unticked the Remote Assistance and the UPnP.

Not sure what else to do. I am assuming Mcaffee technical assistance are closed as it must be night over there.  I live in Australia so timing sucks.  Do you think the ISP has these ports blocked anyway?  But i guess if they were they should not be showing up as OPEN anyway ?

mrepuski
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 27 of 60

If you open the rules and they are set to home and work the rules wouldn't apply. So it sounds like the confirguration is ok.

Technical support does have some limitation on hours of operation however if one can speak english I beleive support is available. Go ahead and contact support. Keep in mind that this is an odd issue, support will likely want to check what we have reviewed in the thread.

I can't say what your ISP may or may not block. If they truely blocked data the test wouldn't report it was open.

I don't have a system that uses a public IP so I can't test this, everthing is behind a NAT. I have pinged dev for their thoughts.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 28 of 60

sydneyguy wrote:

Yes there are two and BOTH are Public. 

In Ports and Services tab, I have no more than the default ports ticked.  In fact i unticked the Remote Assistance and the UPnP.

Not sure what else to do. I am assuming Mcaffee technical assistance are closed as it must be night over there.  I live in Australia so timing sucks.  Do you think the ISP has these ports blocked anyway?  But i guess if they were they should not be showing up as OPEN anyway ?

Australian Technical Support is open by phone or online chat 24/7 at http://service.mcafee.com/TechSupportHome.aspx?lc=3081&sg=TS

sydneyguy
Former Member
Message 29 of 60

Hi Ex_Brit

Spent  a lot of time on this including with Tech Support.  I uninstalled and checked my ports using the Windows firewall.  No problem.  All showing in stealth mode. I then reinstalled Mcaffee Security Center and same problem. Ports 135 and 445 OPEN.  Finally I just uninstalled the package and reinstalled but without Mcafee Firewall (ie just antvirus and antispam).  I am going to use Windows Firewall for the moment and maybe this will get fixed.  If not, i will change brand.  Have you had any feedback from your contacts ?  Anyway, just wanted to let you know where i was at seeing you gents have taken the time to try to assist

Regards

Peacekeeper
Message 30 of 60

Windows 8 and my ports are 135 137 and 138 closed  all rest stealth

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community