cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Maxtan4G
Contributor
Message 1 of 2

Remote Desktop from XP to VistaX64 fails when Firewall in Stealth mode

I've got the following McAfee products installed (on my Vista desktop machine): Personal Firewall Version 10.0 (Build 10.0.209, AffId 0), SiteAdvisor 2.8 (build 2.8.304, affid 0), VirusScan 13.0 (build 13.0.218, affid0), Securitycenter 9.0 (build 9.0.295, affid 0).

When connecting from Windows XP Pro laptop to my Vista 64bit desktop computer via any internet connection, the connection fails. I've also tried with XP Home edition laptop, which fails too.

When I lower my McAfee Firewall's Security Level setting from "Stealth Mode" down to "Standard Mode", the Remote Desktop connection will succeed.

I've got Remote Desktop checked in System Services, along with "Common Operating System Ports" and "Universal Plug and Play".

So, is there a way to get Remote Desktop to work while in Stealth Mode? Can I use McAfee Firewall to monitor which ports get hit when I'm making a connection? That would enable me to add rules for these ports, as necessary.

Thanks!
Tags (1)
1 Reply
OliverJohnSimps
Former Member
Message 2 of 2

RE: Remote Desktop from XP to VistaX64 fails when Firewall in Stealth mode

Hello Max,

The stealth mode is a secure mode where no inbound results are received, your computer would be on the network but you would not be able to ping the computer or make any kind of inbound request to it. This is basically to keep your computer hidden in a network that you connect, this setting can be used when you access public networks like in the Airports, railway stations, etc., To understand the setting better you may refer the following FAQ TS100383.

Regards,
OJ
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community