cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PLT
Contributor
Message 1 of 19

Pop-Ups

I have no idea if this is the right forum to post this question . .

I am desperately trying to download some datasheets, via ftp, from the ZyXEL web site for my new ADSL modem but all attempts are being blocked by McAfee proudly saying "pop-up blocked"

How do I turn this off???? (Maybe only for the ZyXEL ftp site)

A search in the McAfee help file for pop up, pop-ups, blocker, pop-up blocker etc etc (ad nauseum) doesn't point to anything so the subject is obviously not addressed in the help file 😞

Thanks in advance for some advice!

PLT
Tags (3)
18 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 19

RE: Pop-Ups

Unless you have a very old version installed, Security Center no longer contains a pop-up blocker, but your browsers do as do various toolbars, Google for one and McAfee's Firefox/I.E. add-on SiteAdvisor can flash a warning if you go to an unsafe page.

Can you clarify exactly what this pop-up says?

Also please give more information regarding what operating system and service pack you have installed plus the versions of your McAfee products installed.

To do the latter double-click the taskbar icon to open Security Center and then click "About" at the lower right-hand corner.

Is it possible that it's a VirusScan warning that it thinks whatever it is is infected?
PLT
Contributor
Message 3 of 19

Hi Peter,

OK will do a couple of screen shots and let you have the other version information.

Thanks for your response,

Peter T
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 19

Thanks. When posting images you'll have to host them elsewhere and use img tags in bbcode - like so .

Try to keep them down in size if possible.
PLT
Contributor
Message 5 of 19

OK, so attachments are not allowed.

It just says "## popups blocked" right above the McAfee icon at bottom right - but the message is in Google Chrome Blue so maybe . . .

XP SP2
Google Chrome
SecurityCentre - 9.3
VirusScan - 13.3
PersonalFirewall - 10.3
SiteAdvisor - 2.9
Anti-Spam - 10.3

Thanks!

Peter T.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 19

I think it's Chrome that's doing that. I haven't used it for a while and no longer have it installed to check its settings I'm afraid.

If you want to post an image you can by hosting it at one of the many free hosting sites such as Photobucket or ImageShack or even sometimes ISP's provides free hosting.
PLT
Contributor
Message 7 of 19

OK, thanks Peter. Sorry to just assume its McAfee.

I have since looked at the Chrome settings and there seems to be no way to switch off the 'facility'. Ah well . . .

Peter T.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 19

No problem and now you have me going.....LOL

Google found me these posts that may help...
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Chrome/thread?tid=246509c933f73d91&hl=en
http://www.google.com/support/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=95472
From the latter I get the impression that Chrome blocks pop-ups by design, and, if one believes that, can't be made to allow them...?
That I find enough for me to not use it. I like to be able to control such things myself.
PLT
Contributor
Message 9 of 19

Hi again,

I think the Mohammed Mansour one is the answer - to append a switch to the command line. The other merely suppresses a message whether the pop up has been blocked (but does not block it).

On Chrome, I have use IE for years and Chrome is a breath of fresh air - I particularly like the Ctrl-H hot key which gives you a (searchable) list of recently visited sites.

Thanks again for your help!

Peter T.
Geneva - Switzerland
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 19

Does it work? Because I want to post that solution elsewhere.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community