Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sydneyguy
Former Member
Message 21 of 36

Re: Please help me to close ports 134 & 445 in my McAfee Firewall

Hi Ex_Brit

Thanks for passing this on.  I Have however checked my settings and I am on Public setting with restrictive settings.  Just to be safe, I had also set up my Home and Work network settings to the most estrictive settings.  I have NO file or printer sharing and NO network discovery.  I had done this to keep secuirty tight.  Incidently I am not behind a router.  I use a USB Modem so I can stay mobile.  Would the ISP still block ports 445 and 135 when i am connected via a USB modem ?  Also, if they are blocked at ISP level as you had suggested earlier, why does ShieldsUp show them being OPEN?  Thanks

Regards

sydneyguy
Former Member
Message 22 of 36

By the way, something else i noticed and posted in my thread is that from time to time, my firewall Traffic Controller seems to revert from the Stealth setting to Smart Access.  I keep having to set it back to stealth.  Not that this seems to make any difference to the ShieldsUp Port scan anyway. The scan still shows Port 135 and 445 OPEN whether my firewall is in Stealth mode or Smart Access Mode

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 23 of 36

Yes, they are aware of that as we have passed it on previously.

sydneyguy
Former Member
Message 24 of 36

Gemini

Just wondering if you have managed to solve this at your end ?  I am having the same problem so would be useful information

Regards

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 25 of 36

A patch for this is being circulated but for those of you who obtain the software via 3rd parties such as your ISP and/or your PC maker, sometimes such patches are help up.  Please contact Technical Support if you don't see an improvement soon.

sydneyguy
Former Member
Message 26 of 36

Hi Gemini

It seems that the patch mentioned by Ex_Britt has been released.  Have you tried updating your firewall and does it work for you ?

Regards

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 27 of 36

Just did a ShieldsUp test again and passed with flying colours, but in my case, that only means my Router is finally invisible to the outside world since I discovered it not only needed ports 135 and 445 forwarded, but also it's time was out of sync.  Not sure which of those helped, if at all.   I'm afraid my knowledge regarding ports is sketchy at best, but I do know that when you have a router between your machine and the www that is what things like ShieldsUp are looking at when they run.

gemini
Former Member
Message 28 of 36

Hi sydneyguy, the aforementioned patch was applied on October 25th (the firewall got updated from version 13.8.706 to Version 13.8.712) but the ports are still open.

By the way how do you accomplish to turn on the Windows firewall along with the McAfee anti-virus Software? Every time I install McAfee All Access from my account it installs the buggy McAfee firewall along with it. It´s true that you can deactivate it but you can´t activate the Windows firewall instead (I think it gets sorta blocked by McAfee which is only in some sort of slumber mode).

@McAfee customer support: Saying that I´m angry would be an understatement. A firewall that worked perfectly fine just had to be updated. Now it´s faulty but nobody really tries to solve this issue. Just think about it: I´ve paid cash for a product that actually prevents me to access the Internet via my home PC for weeks. Fix this firewall problem or enable me to use the prevoius version or I´ll use another product.

Nachricht geändert durch gemini on 07.11.13 10:03:56 CST

on 07.11.13 10:04:18 CST

on 07.11.13 10:05:20 CST
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 29 of 36

Gemini did you ask support to escalate your issue?  Also do you use a router or modem with router combined?  Because if you do, any tests you are running will reflect the ports on that, not your machine.    In any case. support should be taking logs to bolster your request for a fix.

gemini
Former Member
Message 30 of 36

The support via the chat system just offered some standard hints (e.g. reinstall). The guy from the phone support contacted his superior who said that they knew the problem and were looking for a solution.

I use a DSL cable modem (not a router with a built-in firewall).

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community