cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gemini
Former Member
Message 11 of 36

Re: Please help me to close ports 134 & 445 in my McAfee Firewall

I´ve just reinstalled the McAfee software again. Sadly Shields Up still claims that the ports 135 & 445 are open.

However I can now confirm that this problem is definitely caused by the latest version of the McAfee firewall. After uninstalling the McAfee products and running the MCPR tool I´ve accessed Shields Up with the Windows firewall up and running and it passed the test - total stealth.

So I can sum up:

1. Older versions of McAfee´s firewall pass the test.

2. Windows internal firewall is also able to pass the test.

3. The most recent version of McAfee´s firewall doesn´t pass the test and leaves the ports 135 & 445 open.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 12 of 36

Then it's best to open a case with Technical Support as I stated earlier.   I don't get the same results that here though but then I have both a router and a modem which would skew results..

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 13/10/13 1:44:26 EDT PM
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 13 of 36

Well hopefully Hayton will have something to add

No, not really. If this is a side-effect of some change in the latest McAfee version I won't be able to test it because I'm still running under an older version.

The best advice seems to be, if possible get and use a router or switch ISPs to one that automatically blocks Port 445 traffic.

https://www.grc.com/port_445.htm

Dealing with Port 445

Needless to say, you do NOT want port 445 exposed to the Internet. Like Windows port 135 (which is a whole different problem) port 445 is deeply embedded in Windows and can be difficult or impossible to safely close. While its closure is possible, other dependent services such as DHCP (dynamic host configuration protocol) which is frequently used for automatically obtaining an IP address from the DHCP servers used by many corporations and ISPs, will stop functioning.

For the security reasons described above, port 445 has been causing so many problems that many ISPs are taking security matters into their own hands and blocking this port on behalf of their users. If our port checking shows your port 445 as "stealth" while you are not being otherwise protected by a NAT router or personal firewall, your ISP is probably preventing port 445 traffic from reaching you.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 14 of 36

Well, I made it through my Surgery....

Windows 7 Service Pack 1

Internet Explore 10-Fully Patched

McAfee Security Center

McAfee Anti-Virus and Spyware

16.8.(708)   Build updated from (706) on 10/12/2013

McAfee Personal Firewall

13.8.706  ( Noticed my Anti-Spam is the indentical "Build"

(No reason to list the other Features)

Just ran the Shields Up Port Probe, and all is "Good in the neighborhood"

I might add, I have my Firewall set as "Monitored Access" The only Port that was not reported as "Stealth" was Port 80 which is basically the "HTTP Service"

Even when I ran the probing of my File Sharing - Port 139 and my internal Net Bios could not be reached.

As Ex-Brit mentioned, since mine seems to be functioning fine, You may want to give Technical Support a call?

Hope this helped somewhat...

GodSpeed-CatDaddy

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 15 of 36

I bypassed my router so ShieldsUp would read my machine and surprise, surprise, 135 and 445 are closed rather than stealthed which makes them visible to the outside world, but not 134, which makes it even weirder in my case, especailly as with the OP's machine they aren't open in Firewall > Ports.

Not sure who to ask about this but will do some thinking.  Meanwhile I strongly suggest contacting Technical Support..

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 13/10/13 5:06:28 EDT PM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 16 of 36

Just a note to anyone worried about this.   Most ISP's block these ports anyway from  what I read online.    I have sent an email to some support people  but as it's a holiday weekend here in N. America, there may be a delay in getting any kind of response.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 13/10/13 4:58:33 EDT PM
gemini
Former Member
Message 17 of 36

Many thanks for all of your serious efforts to solve this problem. Your help is much appreciated.

I´ll follow Ex_Brit´s advice and contact McAfee´s technical support  (getting in touch with them wasn´t possible on Sunday). I´m confident they´ll work something out - maybe even the next update will fix this issue.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 18 of 36

NirSoft have a program - CurrPorts - which might be of some use.

The details are at http://nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html

sydneyguy
Former Member
Message 19 of 36

Hi Gemini

I am having EXACTLY the same problem as you after the latest update.  Things were fine beffore that.  Ex_Brit kindly refered me to your thread as I have another one open.  Please post back here your findings to help me and others if you find a fix.  I will do the same.  I have logged the issue with Macafee as recommended by Ex_Brit.  I will try an online chat with them after the public holiday.  I am in Australia so its a lot more difficult due to time difference etc. 

Regards

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 20 of 36

I got a partial response from one of my contacts which still doesn't explain it so will update you further.

445 TCP (CIFS) is commonly reserved for Microsoft’s Directory Services.  I would check whether you’ve set the computer to be in a Home, Work or Public network (I suspect it’s Work if 445 is open).

135 TCP is listed by IANA as “DCE endpoint resolution” otherwise known as “Client/Server Communication”.  Again this points to how you’ve configured your network type.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc959833.aspx

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community