cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reid1
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

Personal firewall trouble

I have bought a laptop with windows vista ultimate addition installed in it. when i bought the laptop, i ordered mcafee antivirus program. when i got my internet i bought the game world of warcraft. When downloading the patches to play the game it said that a firewall was in the way of the patches. so i looked on the internet to find solution, and it said that some of the ports on my firewall need to be opened for the download to go faster. So i went to go to personal firewall to open some of the ports that world of warcraft required. when i clicked on the shortcut to my personal firewall it asked for permission to open the program and i said ok...................

but nothing happend. i tried to open it again, and still nothing happened. so i need to know what is stopping me from opening my personal firewall?
Tags (1)
7 Replies
BastiaanR
Former Member
Message 2 of 8

RE: Personal firewall trouble

You clicked on a shortcut to open Personal Firewall??? You mean, you actually have a seperate icon for the Personal Firewall, instead of just the SecurityCenter icon through which you can access everything??? In that case - which McAfee programs do you have installed, and which versions?
Reid1
Former Member
Message 3 of 8

well i was kindof screwing around trying to figure out a way to open personal firewall and found a shortcut in my files to the personal firewall. so i tried to use that and it didnt work. but most of the help sites i looked at told me to go to start then progams, then mcafee folder, then my personal firewall. but in the mcafee folder in my programs there is no personal firewall in there, only the mcafee security center. and as for the version, i really have no clue, it came with the laptop... but it says in the security center that i have the peronal firewall installed and virus scan. yeah so i need to kno how to open the personal firewall.
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 8

If your taskbar icon looks like this: - double-click to open SecurityCenter and then click "View Details" or "About" at the lower right of the new window. Post the details from each module.
Reid1
Former Member
Message 5 of 8

Security center
version 8.1
build 8.1.175
affid 105-260

virus scan
version 12.1
build 12.1.110
affid 105-260
DAT version 5451.0000
engine version 5300.2777

personal firewall
version 9.1
build 9.1.108
affid 105-260

anti spam
version 9.1
build 9.1.109
affid 105-260
content version 1729.0.583.583

privacy service
version 10.1
build 10.1.141

Thats everything it says in about..... exept for like the dates when i set it up
BastiaanR
Former Member
Message 6 of 8

No need for the sad face.. I apologize if I sounded as if I was giving out - I saw that you had Vista, and when you mentioned you had a Personal Firewall icon (we did have a PF icon for the version which pre-dates and is not compatible with Vista) I was surprised. Hence all my question marks.. that's just me being caught by surprise and being confuzzled. 🙂

So, it looks as if you have the 2008 versions of:
- Security Center
- VirusScan
- Personal Firewall
- AntiSpam (previously called SpamKiller)
- Privacy Service (now known as Parental Controls)

If you have the SecurityCenter open, click on the button that says "Network & Internet" (or somesuch... I don't have SC installed at the moment, so I cannot check the exact wording). Then in the box on the right, you should see a button/link to Configure. When you click that, a new screen opens. From there you are able to disable the firewall (possible for a quick check to see if the firewall is actually the cause of the problem) and also configure it. If you press F1 in the SecurityCenter (or click Help) you should get the built-in Help - you can then lookup the way to open ports and stuff.
Reid1
Former Member
Message 7 of 8

Sweet

Thanks guys. i was able to figure out how to open the ports i needed thanx to you. Thanks a million;)
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 8

RE: Sweet

Glad you are fixed up. Moved to the solved area.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community