cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Che
Former Member
Message 1 of 20

Personal Firewall problem

Conflicting information about firewall (see snapshots). Firewall custom settings disappear after computer restart. Clean reinstall didn't help.

Sony VGN-AW41MF - Windows 7 Home Premium - McAfee Internet Security 2010

Snapshot001.jpg

Snapshot002.jpg

Message was edited by: Che on 05/05/10 07:13:01 CDT
19 Replies
RunAmok
Contributor
Message 2 of 20

Re: Personal Firewall problem

I saw this same symptom (main page telling me that everything was on, working, and up to date), but Windows security warning me that my protection was not on and sub-menus of the McAfee product such as firewall and virus scan saying that function was off - and would not turn on.  Very misleading symptoms due to the invalid information displayed by the McAfee main page, but...

What I found was that in recovering from the 5958 fiasco, we were told to remove the Viruscan\DAT directory to eliminate the 'bad' pattern file.  And after replacing svchost.exe in the Windows\System32 directory and rebooting, the McAfee product was very confused about what was up to date and running when there was not a DAT directory or pattern files to reference.  An "Update" to download the latest pattern file recreated the DAT directory and resolved the problem.

newjack
Former Member
Message 3 of 20

Same here!

as seen in this article

http://community.mcafee.com/thread/24394  mcafee says protected.Windows says "Oh no your not" I have posted a screen shot.I assume you have the same problem.If you restart your computer and go to windows security center.This is what i get.Why would Mcafee say everthing is good?Or do we all have malware?Interesting!

Jack

Che
Former Member
Message 4 of 20

I have stopped using McAfee Internet security and switch to another software package (despite the fact that my subscription will only end in 2011).

RunAmok
Contributor
Message 5 of 20

Sorry to see you bail, Che, but I can certainly understand your concerns.

Along with that and the intent of the original post, it's become quite obvious that I can't trust McAfee.  Yes, as far as I know, I'm still protected.   Then again, my ISP does a pretty good job filtering my email and I'm careful about surfing and what web sites I go to.  But....  to get to the point, I've noticed over the last month that updates for VirusScan Plus 2010 are happening regularly (I expect regular pattern file updates) and occasionally where the update demands a reboot or I can see that something major was uninstalled and then reinstalled since the McAfee desktop icon was deleted and then recreated.  What makes me curious is that when I look at the 'about' window from the navigation list, I see that none of the components (other than the pattern file) have a new Version number, Build Number, or Affld number.  Obviously, some updates were significant enought to demand a reboot, or to delete and recreate the McAfee desktop icon.  And while it took over a month to deliver a fix for the Msvhost error message on shutdown, it's obviously fixed now, with - if one could believe the 'about' screen - no change in any of the package component's versions.

Beyond the fact that it makes me wonder how they know whether or not I need an available update since the version and build number never changes, it makes me wonder why they're not showing the user that some things are obviously being changed.   Sure doesn't do much for the credibility that they say they're trying so hard to re-establish after the 5958 fiasco, does it....

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 20

Discussion moved from Consumer Service and Support Feedback to Personal Firewall 11 - 2010

I am sure that Technical Support Chat would have sorted the issue out for you.

RunAmok
Contributor
Message 7 of 20

Ex_Brit, 

It probably won't come as a great surprise that Tech Support didn't have a clue when I've tried to discuss the question of updates which don't show up as a change in Version or Build Number.  The only response - after skipping past many parts of our 'conversation' which had nothing to do with the question asked - is that "the product is working".  At this point, I think it probably is, but...  I have no way to know for sure and that's not an answer to the question.

As discussed by so many others in so many other threads, when the 'expert' system Tech Support is using which scans your comments and supplies additional questions for them to respond with, keys in on some word or phrase in my comments, the chat tends to go off on a tangent which has nothing to do with what you asked.  I've found in almost all cases that the person on the other end actually don't have much expertise at all beyond what that system prompts for them.  And all too often, that system is not designed or robust enough to handle the problem or question originally asked.

As far as Personal Firewall is concerned, I've also had far too many chats about the updated version of Virus Scan Plus 2010 which downloaded and installed an entirely new program set with different options, missing components, and very different user interface, configuration options, and functionality than the version I purchased.  For example, even though Personal Firewall is configured to "ask" when a new program tries to access to network, it doesn't ask, it just informs, and often sets a new program to Full Access - even though "Outgoing Only" is supposed to be the default.   And in one of my chats, the Tech Support rep simply clicked on "Reset Defaults" (wiping out all existing config options and wiping out the existing list of known programs).  And then the rep told me my problem was "fixed" - which of course, it wasn't.

Thanks for responding.  At least I know that somebody is reading these posts.  Just wish that someone would actually address the problems we've all been trying to bring to McAfee's attention.....

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 20

We've been asking for updates to be explained for ages now along with many other improvements, but thus far haven't met with success.

Are you still getting a green OK response even with Firewall turned off?

There isn't much we can do other than suggest a complete uninstall, cleanup using the MCPR tool (via Useful Links above), reboot and reinstall from your online account.

There are various levels oif Technical Support and the 1st line can often sound like a cracked record but it is possible to ask for escalation of an issue, where an issue can be taken right back to the developers eventually if need be.

RunAmok
Contributor
Message 9 of 20

It would, of course,  be nice if details of changes included in updates were published like other vendors often do, but... unfortunately we don't get that, or - as I described above - even confirmation that an update took place since they stopped revising the displayed Version when they do update.  Pardon my suspicious nature, but it does make me wonder why, how they determine what update level we're at, and... what they're trying to hide.   The "Last Update" date seems to change, but....  since it changes for Virus Scan every day we get new pattern file it's not really very meaningful for that component.  I'd run out of fingers if I tried to count the number of times the desktop icon was deleted and recreated (or all the times it didn't when I got what was most likely a simple pattern file update) or I was asked to reboot after an update over the last month, and yet...  beyond the Virus scan updated date and pattern file number, there have been no other changes according to the version number, engine number, firewall version, Security Center version, Site Advisor version, etc, etc.

As for your question, No, I haven't seen that symptom since I removed the DAT file directory as part of the initial suggestions posted for the 5958 recovery.  If I manually turn firewall off, the main status screen says it's off.   And while the invalid staus screen may occur for other reasons or under other conditions as well, the missing DAT file directory cause would be easy to reproduce and troubleshoot.  Again, as above, it sure doesn't contribute to trust or credibility when the main screen says you're totally functional and up to date and other screens acknowlege that you definitely are not.....

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 20

Understood, but not too sure what I can do about it.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community