Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
case59
Former Member
Message 1 of 12

Personal Firewall Won't Turn on

Jump to solution

I have Security Center for Dell and Windows 7.  My personal firewall got turned off somehow and won't turn back on.  I went into "services" and tried to "start" it but got a message:  "Windows could not start the McAfee Personal Firewall Service on Local Computer.  Error 1075:  the dependency service has been marked for deletion or does not exist."  I tried McAfee's virtual technician but it said it couldn't fix the problem.  I've looked at some of the other posts on this problem (it seems to be pretty common) but didn't see any clear or easy solutions (I'm too untechie to want to mess with the registry).  Two further points:

1.  I've run full scans by both McAfee and Malawarebytes, and they say no viruses.  But I assume it is still dangerous to run the computer without the firewall?

2. I also can't turn on the Windows security center.  Could this be related?

Any help appreciated.  Or should I just uninstall or reinstall?

Thanks,

Case

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dinz
Former Member
Message 3 of 12

Re: Personal Firewall Won't Turn on

Jump to solution

Sorry that you had this issue, but the next time if you need any help around McAfee programs functionality please try to run McAfee virtual technician from here : http://mvt.mcafee.com ,its an automated tool that fixes most of the issues with McAfee programs

Regards,

View solution in original post

11 Replies
case59
Former Member
Message 2 of 12

Jump to solution

No help from McAfee and no help here.  So  I uninstalled McAfee and bought Kaspersky, which seems to be doing fine.  I don't say this to be snarky.  I've used McAfee for over ten years.  But I don't want to go around without a firewall, and the unresponsiveness on what appears to be a common problem is troubling.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 3 of 12

Jump to solution

Sorry that you had this issue, but the next time if you need any help around McAfee programs functionality please try to run McAfee virtual technician from here : http://mvt.mcafee.com ,its an automated tool that fixes most of the issues with McAfee programs

Regards,

case59
Former Member
Message 4 of 12

Jump to solution

As noted in my original posting, I did try McAfee's Virtual  Technician and it didn't fix the problem.

duufuss
Former Member
Message 5 of 12

Jump to solution

Having encountered the same problem after one of the fake security programs hijacked my computer I tried Virtual Technician and no fix.  Evidently the fake security program or the clean up software (malwarebytes in my case) damages some of the McAfee files.  My solution that worked was to uninstall McAfee, reboot my computer, then reinstall McAfee.  Whew finally back to having a firewall. 

bjwoolf
Former Member
Message 6 of 12

Jump to solution

I like how they've "answered" your question:

"We'll completely ignore that you said you tried McAfee virtual technician and post a cookie-cutter response that tells you to try that. Then will mark your post answered as if it's been resolved when in fact we've done nothing."

By the way - I'm also obviously experiencing the same problems having already tried the suggested solutions.

jmarciano1957
Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Jump to solution

i had same issue couldn't turn on firewall. went to mcafee site downlowded virtual tech. when virtual tech was scanning my system about 5 mins into it. laptop went blue screen. now it won't boot past the pre-boot. called mcafee 1st tech past me on to master tech who is trying to sell me some $180 package that covers me for 1 year. says he should be able to correct problem. 

muralims
Former Member
Message 8 of 12

Jump to solution

I have the same problem. itried McAfee virtual technician. it said no problem found. i tried superantispyware and that removed an adware tracking cookie and couple of trojan agents. even after this, the firewall keeps turning off

Peacekeeper
Message 9 of 12

Jump to solution

Go to start and run and type services.msc. Check the firewall service it should be on auto is it?

Did you ever have an another AV installed before Mcafee if so did you use the removal tool provided by the AV supplier. If not bits of it can clash with the mcafee install.

Read and follow

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQSearch.aspx?lc=1033&sg=TS&pt=1#

If above no help try a clean reinstall

Uninstall via

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

reboot and run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

reinstall from your account

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 25/05/12 6:27:32 PM
muralims
Former Member
Message 10 of 12

Jump to solution

Thanks!! Uninstall and reinstall of McAfee software seems to have worked.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community