cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
antevans
Former Member
Message 11 of 47

Re: Persistent 'program wants to accept incoming internet connection' pop-ups

Try saving the png file and opening it in another app.

Aldrin
Former Member
Message 12 of 47

Hey Ant, I guess we are rolling back and forth here for no issue. Let me help you to straighten this out here...

I agree that you have customized Alert Settings to alert you only when “A scan is completed” but the alert that’s shown in your screenshot is entirely a different one

Program Wants Internet Access: A program is trying to get into your computer via internet (Mozilla fire fox plug-in) and requesting your permission (it doesn’t mean it got in)

Program granted access to Internet: Like I said earlier, this would popup only if a program needs a outgoing access to the internet

Program blocked access to Internet: You will be able to see this prompt only when McAfee automatically block certain suspicious activity/program in connecting to the website from your computer

Please revert if you still need any more clarification on the same. Thanks…

Message was edited by: Aldrin on 26/11/10 9:21:55 PM IST
antevans
Former Member
Message 13 of 47

This does not answer my or alfuller's question, or my design point. Apologies if we have not been clear.

The question is about why the firewall is nagging us about an app that already has a policy.

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/160607-6929/Firewall_fun.png

The explanation that has been offered (that downloading requires an incoming connection) is wrong.

The design issue is that the options presented by the nag box do not correspond to the firewall app policy options. In particular, they don't offer the only sensible option, which is to give most user level apps Outgoing connections. Together with the fact that the firewall is ignoring existing policy, this reflects a circular use case, so it can't be deliberate. For users who don't know what they are doing, it creates a security hole by encouraging them to allow apps full net access (to get out of the infinite loop).

To advise general users to allow apps full access is irresponsible.

If you can't reproduce the scenario then it's possible that this issue doesn't affect all Win 7 users and that there is something particular about our setup. I would concentrate on what that something might be, rather than telling us that there is no problem.

Aldrin
Former Member
Message 14 of 47

Ant - please reply to my private message in order proceed further on your issue... Thanks..

alfuller
Former Member
Message 15 of 47

OK, I am still left with no answer to my original question:

Given that I have set the permission level for a program, and given that the McAfee firewall appears to ignore my setting and therefore keeps asking me for a decision on that particular application:

What do I have to do to get the firewall to stop this behaviour and hold the settings I tell it?

Aldrin
Former Member
Message 16 of 47

Next time when the programs prompts your permission - select Always Allow

antevans
Former Member
Message 17 of 47

>>Next time when the programs prompts your permission - select Always Allow

No thanks.

Uninstalled.

https://community.mcafee.com/message/113608
https://community.mcafee.com/message/114167

alfuller
Former Member
Message 18 of 47

Well - since at least two of us have been asking for answers to the same issue, I can't tell whether the last instruction of telling the software "always allow" was intended for me or not.  if so, then I give up, and will likely also uninstall the firewall.

I have been using the McAfee firewall for at least 10 years, and know it should be possible to have it hold a setting of 'outgoing only' - which is the only safe option.

If that instruction was not intended for me, or if anyone else has a solution to this problem, I will appreciate a true fix to the issue.

Aldrin
Former Member
Message 19 of 47

Sorry for the delayed response, we are following up with antevans to check out the issue. I would request you to wait until we identify the exact problem. Thanks

Yellew_One
Former Member
Message 20 of 47

Any news on this issue? I have the same problem and it is very annoying to have to click "Only allow outgoing access" each time I start Firefox (or any other program which I specifically only want to have outgoing permissions). Thanks in advance.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community