Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kharrisma
Former Member
Message 1 of 2

Network printing... can't do it!

Hi Community.

New member, last resort to fixing this problem.

I've been around.  My first computer was an HP 286-12 with a whopping 1 mb RAM and a 40 mb hard drive and a 5 1/4" floppy drive.  And it was HOT in it's day.  I've climbed the ever advancing technology ladder since that day, building my own systems from DOS 4.0 up (an arcane and hazard-frought enterprise in those days. Anyone remember Autoexec.bat and Config.sys; and QuarterDeck Extended Memory Manager.  TSR's and trying to find that sweet load order?  Loading drivers in the correct order????  I'll give windows its due, it DID simplify that part of using PCs simpler, but at what cost?), through the various incarnations of Windows, starting with 3.0. 

Finally got sick of doing battle with microsoft for ownership of my own computer, and constantly, CONSTANTLY dealing with never-ending updates and "improvements", frequently rendering the system unstable of outright unusable, and the ever present viruses and trojans and malware and.....   Anyway, I've been running Linux in one flavor or another for the last six years, currently Ubuntu 10.10.  I love it, and I'm NEVER going back.

Trouble is, though, that everybody else in my family and extended family is still under the impression that Wiindows is the way to go.  And they are typical "consumer-level" users, and so continually make it necessary for me to "open the hood" and rummage around until I find out how they shot themselves in the foot, and make it right.  I probably spend more time keeping their stuff running properly than I do using my own (blessedly trouble-free) machine.

All of which is to say, I know my way around; I'm NOT your average "consumer-grade" user.

Nevetheless, this one's got me stumped.  Apparently, as best as I'm able to tell, McAfee is blocking my wife's Dell Dimension laptop running windows7/64 bit ability to print to our networked Dell V71W all-in-one fax/print/copier.  Everybody else can print to it; I can print to it; she can't, and she's the only one running McAfee. She can access the internet across the network; she can see the printer and query it and view it's status and ink levels and change it's settings... she just can't print.  If I use CTRL-ALT-DEL to bring up task manager, and kill McAfee, THEN it will print, though it's continually jiggling my elbow about "running naked" with no security package.

One of the troubleshooting setps I went through instructed me to be sure that dleecoms.exe wasn't being blocked at the system firewall.  I turned off windows firewall, because two firewalls is  a guaranteed nightmare.  McAfee is the only active firewall.  Unfortunately, in the interest of having a pretty GUI, and having the program lead the user by the nose and anticipating what the user is trying to do, I find myself blocked from locating what I'm looking for; a list of programs and their access status.  Until I can find that, I can't verify that dleecoms.exe isn't being blocked.

Anyone know where to find  such a thing??

1 Reply
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 2

Re: Network printing... can't do it!

Hi there,

Thanks for expressing your issue in detailed manner,  The exe files for your devices would be present in C:\program files , unless you have an option to change the destination location and placed it somewhere else.  If McAfee firewall blocks - Printer Spooler Subsystem, please follow the below steps and check the status of your printer.

1. Please click on Click the Firewall Link.
  2. Select the Program Permissions drawer.
  3. Scroll to the bottom and click the Add button

4.   Click Browse and locate the file you want to add. Look out for an exe that  says spoolsv.exe- Printer Spooler Subsystem (This allows you to print to a network printer.)

1. Click the application to highlight it and select Open.
  2. Set the access type as Full using the provided options in the Access drop down menu.
  3. Click Save.

Regards,

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community