Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
1tinyteena
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

Mcafee firewall blocks IE 7 & 8 on xp

Hi,

Recently had a virus (virtumond.sdn) all files have been cleaned etc.  had to reinstall sp3.  once that was done, I was not able to connect to ie but could connect through MSN Explorer.  Didnt realize at the time it was my firwall blocking.  I have internet access meaning my modem & router are working & can connect to my network via my labtop & also am able to get updates for my programs so I KNOW there is activity.  I read somewhere to try turning off my firwall & check to see if that was the problem & IT IS!  If I disable Mcafee Firewall I can access through IE like a charm but also keep being vulnerable to trojans & have to keep fixing that issue everytime I turn off the firewall.  I have tried to configure it to only allow outgoing access, & also tried to adjust the settings from stealth to low but still can not access as long as my firewall is activated.  The problem is CLEARLY Mcafee firewall & am wondering if anyone else has had this problem or if someone out there in Mcafee world can help me solve this???  I was running IE7 FINE before the issues but now cant seem to get it right!

HELP!!

5 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 6

Re: Mcafee firewall blocks IE 7 & 8 on xp

Hi,

Did you try to configure the firewall permission to FULL ACCESS for both your browsers (IE & firefox) to check the status ?
And , May I know whether your security center states Am I protected YES or is it Your computer is secure ?
How is the computer currently connected to the internet ? (dsl/wireless/cable)

note : moving thread to firewall 11 - 2010

Regards,
Dinesh K

1tinyteena
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

Hi, yes I went into Mcafee Internet & network config/firwall pretection is enabled advanced key/ & set all the way down to automatic & ticked full access button.

Yes my Mcafee states I am "fully protected"

The pc in question is connected to the internet via cable modem.  Also installed is a linksys wireless router for which I connect my HP wireless printer & Connect my laptop with.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 4 of 6

1. Please check whether internet explorer & firefox are given full access under program permissions ?

2. If yes, from the same page click Restore firewall defaults and try to access internet .

3. Restart the computer and start tapping the F8 key and from the windows advanced boot menu select safe mode with networking and try to access internet as mcafee services would be disabled in safe mode .

Regards,

Dinesh K

1tinyteena
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

Hi

Yes IE (don't have firefox) was given full permission.  I have restored firewall defaults as requested.  IE still is allowed full access although not all the other apps that had full access are listed now. (I had previously added them so that they could atleast download updates etc without interferance ie: HP etc)  IE still hung trying to access my home page (google)  Previously it was accessing immediately but either did not load properly (no pics or background) then if I refreshed I received "page cannot be displayed"  Now it hangs says site found but says "connecting" but never gets any farther.

I rebooted in safe mode and tried IE.  It IMMEDIATELY goes to my home page with all background etc.  I tried to go to Facebook & it took a while but did finally get there although it took FOREVER to move around once connected.  I then tried going from my home page to Gmail & it just hangs. I decided to try clearing my history & temp internet files & it still goes directly to my home page immediately but takes about 5-10 mins to reach another page.  I also tried to do searches in google & search results come up immediately but if I click on anything it takes a hangs & takes forever to connect.  Not sure if that is because things are running differently in SAFEMODE or not.

1tinyteena
Former Member
Message 6 of 6

Hi Dinz,

sorry, I realized when I was performing your steps that I wasnt replicating the same responses that I had initially been getting when I tried to connect which was "page cannot be displayed".  Now I was getting a hanging page stuck on "connecting"  I realize now that at the time I had performed those steps somehow windows firewall had been on at the time.  So I ensure it was off, reperformed the steps & I was able to connect with no issues.  Well no issues until files started downloading to my file & the same virus (virtumonde.sdn) was back.

Basically it downloads a "Control Center" on your desktop that is like a hub for everything on your system. ie: connections, download sites, firewalls, file management etc.  Now that I have realized that obviously in doing that it changes a lot of settings ie firewalls and that is why when I was in safemode with windows firewall on I was not able to access the internet the same as when I was in "normal mode" and had to disarm the firewall in order to access the internet.   Ok.. so obviously I'm gonna have a HEAP of settings to change  back to normal including my firewall. But for now I'll have to wait to get rid of it again.  I am currently running trend micro housecall full scan.  I will then check again with spybot s&d & then set it to run on next boot before startup items.  this stops it & is successfull in removal.  I'll run mcafee full scan once spybot is done & I am signed in as normal.  I'll let you know if I still have the issue

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community