Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
harry_j_potter
Former Member
Message 1 of 9

Mcafee Firewall stays turned off

Mcafee Firewall off.png

I had this problem for a while, the moment I click turn On, the Firewall turns off while Mcafee Centrre says the Firewall is on. Whats going on?

8 Replies
harry_j_potter
Former Member
Message 2 of 9

Re: Mcafee Firewall stays turned off

So I found out McAfee Personal Firewall Service stopped running and is dependent on 3 other services

They are RpcSs, MfeFire and MpsSvc

SERVICE_NAME: McMPFSvc

TYPE               : 20  WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS

START_TYPE         : 2   AUTO_START

ERROR_CONTROL      : 1   NORMAL

BINARY_PATH_NAME   : "C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\McSvcHost\McS

vHost.exe" /McCoreSvc

LOAD_ORDER_GROUP   :

TAG                : 0

DISPLAY_NAME       : McAfee Personal Firewall Service

DEPENDENCIES       : RpcSs

: MfeFire

: MpsSvc

SERVICE_START_NAME : LocalSystem

MpsSvc is the only one not running, and infact missing. When I try to find the service I get the following error

[SC] EnumQueryServicesStatus:OpenService FAILED 1060:

The specified service does not exist as an installed service.

How do I get MpsSvc service back?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 9

Mpssvc belongs to Microsoft Windows OneCare Live I think - do you or have you had that installed?  If it's still there uninstall it via Control Panel ? Programs > Uninstall a Program.  It could be reacting negatively with McAfee.

Then go to Start and type services.msc in the Search box and when Services appears above open it and look for the Windows Firewall Service and make sure it is Started and Automatic, double-click to open it.

Then download and run Virtual Technician: http://mvt.mcafee.com/ and see if it repairs things.

You may have to reboot at some stage to see if things have changed.

My McAfee Firewall Core Service doesn't depend on that so not sure why yours does.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 15/09/12 6:34:26 EDT PM
harry_j_potter
Former Member
Message 4 of 9

It does belong to Microsoft but it comes pre installed, and can't be uninstalled or re-installed and it's Microsoft Firewall service

Windows Firewall can't turn on.

And I'm talking about McAfee Personal Firewall Service that is dependent on McAfee Firewall Core Service and Mpssvc

Message was edited by: harry_j_potter on 9/15/12 5:52:34 PM CDT
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 9

Moved this to Personal Firewall so it might get better attention.

On further research I think mpssvc belongs to Windows Firewall, which you wont be able to turn on with McAfee installed because the latter overrides it.

Try uninstalling all McAfee via Control Panel, Programs, then run the MCPR cleanup tool listed under Useful Links at the top of this page and reboot.

Then go to services.msc and try turning on the Windows Firewall Service (it should be set to Automatic and Started)

Then go to your McAfee account page and reinstall the software.

That will turn off Windows Firewall in Windows Security Center, that's normal behaviour.

That hopefully will fix things.

If it doesn't, Technical Support is linked via Useful Links also and it's free.

harry_j_potter
Former Member
Message 6 of 9

It worked before when I had same problem but now even if I uninstal McAfee Windows Firewall stays turned off with fatal errors, And I can't update Firewall either.

But back to original question, why firewall for McAfee won't turn on?

When I try to turn on Mcafee Firewall service manually with full rights it gives me an error that one of its dependencies is not turned on

Message was edited by: harry_j_potter on 9/15/12 8:54:56 PM CDT
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 9

This sounds like either a registry cleaner has been used or at least some changes have been made to the registry which leads to the inevitable conclusion, infection.

Try running RootkitRemover, & Stinger linked in the last link in my signature, then run Malwarebytes Free also linked there but mentioned seperately simply because it can be kept whereas the other two never update so should be uninstalled after use.

Try reparing the system.

Go to Start/All Programs/Accessories and find Command Prompt

Right-click and tell it to run as Administrator and OK any prompts

Type in sfc /scannow (with the space) and see if that will repair the system.

Other than that all I can suggest still is to contact Tech Support as I said previously.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit - spellcheck on 16/09/12 6:52:31 EDT AM
harry_j_potter
Former Member
Message 8 of 9

Did sfc /scannow yesterday with no errors showing up. Runned Sophos Antivirus, I get it for free from my post-secondary school and it did find few viruses but no rootkit virus.

So you sugest contacting Tech Support?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 9

Yes I would.  They have various troubleshooting methods that can be used to sort this out.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community