cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rupertinsky
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Mcafee Firewall is blocking my internet access intermittently...HELP

Hello,  I am new on this forum, and I have the very same problem as people had on the previous discussion made by . I think i just arrive quite late, since today  I found that discussion closed. The las post and summary given by   was the follow:

"Locking this thread since we couldn't reproduce this issue at house and also there is no movement in gathering data for further analysis.

Summary:

1. Posters indicated they are facing an issue with connecting to the Network when McAfee Firewall is ON - turning OFF Firewall was used as a workaround.

2. Later it was identified that turning off NetGuard seems to help.

3. Selvan got in touch with xboxerj and tried to capture data - but couldn't repro the issue at that moment - Gave instructions to gather logs - Engineering noticed that logs did not contain any significant information on network connectivity.

4. Few posters mentioned that turning OFF Netguard did not help

5. Selvan posted instructions to capture data from affected PC.

6. In the last few posts xboxerj indicated that this issue gets resolved by turning OFF Web Advisor.

Affected users please start a new discussion and point us there so that we could start over again."

I am using a home build PC, i5 4570, on a Gigabyte B85M-D3H, Versions are: SC:14.0.1076, PF:15.0.194. WA: 4.0.1.124, using google DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, ( I tried changing this, but  made no diference).

I have been doing some tests myself when that issue shows, and this is what i found:

ping to www.google.com didn`t respond but ping to respective IP adress (173.194.115.180) did, so I tried using IP on the web browser without success.

same happens when I ping other two sites, I only have response by pingin IP, which suggest problem of DNS and http ports being blocked. Since DNS resolution and http protocol works over TCP and ping don't, I guess the firewall is blocking all TCP conexions. 

I hope can be of any use.

8 Replies
selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 9

Re: Mcafee Firewall is blocking my internet access intermittently...HELP

Hi 

Please try the below and see if it helps

1. Turn OFF NetGuard in Firewall Settings and see if fixes the issue. You will need to observe the PC for a day or two and see if the issue goes away.

2. Turning OFF NetGuard will not have any changes to your PC - See if Turning OFF Firewall and turning ON immediately gains you access to the Internet.

Also post back the McAfee version details - can be obtained by clicking "About" link in the Home User Interface

rupertinsky
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Hi, thanks for answer, 

this is the full version details of SC and FW:

McAfee Security Center,

Version;14.0

Compilation: 14.0.1076

Affld:911

Language; es-mx

last-update: 22/08/2015

McAffe Personal Firewall

Version: 15.0

Compilation: 15.0.194

last update: 22/08/2015

Yes, I have been doing that,turning off and on the firewall the internet connection returns immediately, but i don't want be doing that every time I turn on the PC.

I will try disabling NG, and see how does it works.

rupertinsky
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

I haven't had the issue again since I disabled Net Guard.  I will keep testing for another week.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 5 of 9

Re: Re: Mcafee Firewall is blocking my internet access intermittently...HELP

Hi

We are interested in gathering data related to McAfee logging from your PC for progressing on this issue. Please let know your convenient time so that we can contact you and establish a support session.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 9

Selvan,

Since 'Direct Messaging' is inoperable for now. I apologize for seemingly 'Hi-jacking' this thread. However could you please take a look at this one also;

As always

Much appreciated

Cliff/CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
rupertinsky
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Hellow,

I would like to help in anyway I can.., I haven't had any trouble since Net Guard was disabled, I don't know exactly what it does so I will enable it just in case, I will report any issue than might happen now.

Tell me what can I do to gather the information you need and how I can send it to you.

Thank you

patatipatata
Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Hello,

I participated in the original thread on this subject.  As recommended then, I disabled NetGuard as a temporary fix (no problem ever since on the computers where NetGuard was disabled).  Since then, I confirmed the problem on two additional computers for which NetGuard had not yet been disabled.  Same symptom as before: while it happens, no network connectivity and the "ping" command does not even respond.

The additional troubleshooting information that I can add to this thread is that at the time the problem happened on one computer, I was remotely accessing that computer using Remote Desktop from another computer on my local network.  The remote desktop disconnected and could not be reconnected (i.e. the problem is not only when accessing the Internet, but also when accessing the local network).  I connected locally to the affected computer and confirmed the usual symptoms.  I am now disabling Netguard for these two additional computers.

The initial problem was reported when computers were running Windows 7; problem continues with identical symptoms after upgrade to Windows 10. 

Disabling NetGuard only *hides* the problem! This problem was reported months ago, and so far, the only recommended cure is to disable the functionality for which I paid for...

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 9

Marking this discussion as 'Assumed Answered' and Locking it as it is over a year old. No further correspondence.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community