Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xboxerj
Contributor III
Message 191 of 199

Re: Mcafee Firewall is blocking my internet access intermittently...HELP

Jump to solution

I tried something that did the trick for me, hopefully it might help some of you.  I rebooted Firefox, the newest version 39.0.3 (which I sincerely doubt had any help with this) in SAFE MODE and tried out every add on and extension one by one.  I found the issue to be McAfee Web Advisor 4.0, which I disabled.  I also have Netguard enabled again, and I have had no problems thus far.  If I do I will gladly update everyone.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 192 of 199

Re: Re: Mcafee Firewall is blocking my internet access intermittently...HELP

Jump to solution

Hi All,

This thread is going on for a while. Below are the instructions to collect logs for this issue. Once you feel that you are facing this issue set up trace using McAfee's log collection tool and wait for the issue to occur. Try to access Internet in multiple browsers and/or applications and repro the issue. Once you feel that you have repro-ed the issue. Stop tracing via log collection tool. Give it sometime to create the logs on your Desktop - log generating time directly depends on how long tracing has been set.

Follow Solution 1 in KB Article TS101980 How to collect logs for McAfee Windows Security Suites

Once you see the logs are ready, post back in this thread for me to validate and upload the same to McAfee. Also include the upload speed of your Internet connection using www.speedtest.net

Regards

astor
Contributor II
Message 193 of 199

Jump to solution

I too thought Firefox might be the trigger to replicate this issue.  However, recent experiences have shown me that the issue occurs even when Firefox is not running.  Perhaps Firefox is not the only way to try and replicate the problem.  One thing is for sure, it's a problem that needs fixing.

john118
Contributor II
Message 194 of 199

Re: Re: Mcafee Firewall is blocking my internet access intermittently...HELP

Jump to solution

Instead of coming on here and telling us what we consumers have to do to solve the bug in McAfee's software, how about McAfee / Intel diagnose the problem? You must have quite an extensive engineering/ developer team. I fail to believe you cannot replicate the problem. It's more like you can't be bothered.  The reason this thread "is going on for a while" is we have been told over and over for months that it's "only a few people". Months and months later more and more people keep showing up here with the same issue. Like has been said many times, it is surely a very small fraction of people who find this thread and register to comment.  No one knows how many have called tech support because when people call they are duped into the "must be your hardware or ISP problem" nonsense.  The reason you have not gotten any logs is because most people like myself are very busy with our own jobs. What is being offered for the time to collect these logs and basically work for McAfee? A free one year subscription? Otherwise no thanks, I'll just keep Netguard off like others are doing.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 195 of 199

Re: Re: Re: Mcafee Firewall is blocking my internet access intermittently...HELP

Jump to solution

Hi

Sorry for the inconvenience. The instructions posted above is neither a resolution nor a workaround instead a step by step instruction to gather logs relating to the issue. Once these logs are analysed we might be in a position to address the problem. indicated that turning OFF Netguard didn't resolve the issue. This is an indication that we might have more than one issue within this thread. So to identify each scenario logs will give us a better picture on to which component is causing the issue. Hope this explains.

xboxerj
Contributor III
Message 196 of 199

Re: Re: Re: Mcafee Firewall is blocking my internet access intermittently...HELP

Jump to solution

Well here is a new wrinkle.  So I am running Firefox 39.0.3, the most current version.  My Netguard is on, and that is not causing any issue.  However, the McAfee web advisor extension was discovered to be the culprit.  I disabled the add-on, and everything has been running fine.

When I opened up Firefox this morning, my Web Advisor Extension had enabled itself.  I hadn't done anything different since I was on last night.  I shut down as I have the past few nights with no issue.  But I didn't even notice it was on until I went to the site I previously had issue with and it didn't load.  Up in the corner again it was showing as active.

I turned it off again, and once I restarted Firefox it was again deactivated.  I am curious how it would have done that, as I can't say for sure it was a Firefox error.  Sometimes my add-ons will be disabled by Firefox itself if it doesn't work with that particular version or is noticed to be a potential issue.  With that in mind I can say it is possible that something within the extension itself could turn itself on by means of McAfee's software.

Any thoughts on this?

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 197 of 199

Re: Re: Re: Re: Mcafee Firewall is blocking my internet access intermittently...HELP

Jump to solution

Hi ,

Please help with the logs that I requested in my previous post 191. We may get into a remote session if required. Volunteers whom willing to provide logs can also post here.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 198 of 199

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mcafee Firewall is blocking my internet access intermittently...HELP

Jump to solution

Locking this thread since we couldn't reproduce this issue at house and also there is no movement in gathering data for further analysis.

Summary:

1. Posters indicated they are facing an issue with connecting to the Network when McAfee Firewall is ON - turning OFF Firewall was used as a workaround.

2. Later it was identified that turning off NetGuard seems to help.

3. Selvan got in touch with xboxerj and tried to capture data - but couldn't repro the issue at that moment - Gave instructions to gather logs - Engineering noticed that logs did not contain any significant information on network connectivity.

4. Few posters mentioned that turning OFF Netguard did not help

5. Selvan posted instructions to capture data from affected PC.

6. In the last few posts xboxerj indicated that this issue gets resolved by turning OFF Web Advisor.

Affected users please start a new discussion and point us there so that we could start over again.

wouter-b
Contributor
Message 199 of 199

Jump to solution

It's the end of 2019 and it's still a problem ...... not looking good .....

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community