Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2harts4ever
Former Member
Message 1 of 16

McAfee is replying to (ICMP Echo) requests

Jump to solution

Good evening,

I purchased a Dell Inspiron 5555 Laptop last week running Windows 10 and tonight I ran my first scan utilizing "GRC SHIELDS UP!" an Internet Vulnerability Profiling program which I have used for several years on other computers including my current HP Pavilion Desktop running Windows 8.1.

Tonight I ran my first scan on my new Dell and the program said it failed one test which concerned 'Ping Replies'.  The program said my computer replied to its Ping (ICMP Echo) requests.  It said that most Firewalls could be set to stop such an action.  I then ran the same test on my other system running Win 8.1 and it returned the same result.

I am using McAfee Multi Access - Internet Security, fully updated, on both computers.

Is there a setting I am overlooking in McAfee that would stop my computers to replying to these ICMP Echo ping requests?

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SafeBoot
MVP
MVP
Message 12 of 16

Re: McAfee is replying to (ICMP Echo) requests

Jump to solution

not replying to ping requests was a problem a decade ago when we had modems connected to our PCs, but it's not really valuable now since your PC most likely isn't directly connected to the internet.

If you have a cable or DSL modem, then that's the thing connected to the internet (which needs to not bother replying to pings) - your computer is most likely on a private 10. or 192. network which is not addressable from the internet.

In short, no one outside your home can ping your PC anyway.

View solution in original post

15 Replies
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 16

Jump to solution

Maybe this is not an option in all McAfee versions, but in mine I see a way to disallow ICMP Pings. It's easy enough to switch it off (on mine anyway).

In Security Center select Firewall and from the various subheadings choose Smart Advice and Advanced Settings. If you don't have one named exactly like that, just look in any of the areas with a similar heading.

In there I see "Allow ICMP Ping requests" and beside it a check box. Uncheck the box; job done.

2harts4ever
Former Member
Message 3 of 16

Jump to solution

Hi Hayton,

I appreciate your response and I am sorry for not replying sooner.  My wife has had me doing 'honey-do's' and I have finally taken a break to get on the computer.

For the record I am running Win 10 on this Laptop and using McAfee Multi Access-Internet Security.  The Firewall is McAfee Personal Firewall, Version 15.0, Build 15.0.4019, updated 9-22-2015.

I have the same setting you recommended 'unclicking' too.  However, it was already 'unclicked'!

I'll keep searching ...

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 16

Jump to solution

is there a router between the computer and the web?   If so it's most likely the culprit rather than the machine itself.

I'm not too au fait with router firewall settings but there must be a setting somewhere in that router where that can be checked.

2harts4ever
Former Member
Message 5 of 16

Jump to solution

Hi Ex_Brit,

Thanks for coming aboard! 

Yes,   when I signed up with Windstream in December 2014 they put in a Wireless Router (F@st 1704N Sagemcom).  That is as far as I go in my 'expertise' of routers and that is only because I think I spelled it correctly ...lol

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 16

Jump to solution

Then it may be worth your while to ask them for some insight into their router's settings.  Usually it's a simple matter of surfing to its IP address in your browser and then logging in, but if they haven't let you know how to do that then I would call them.

2harts4ever
Former Member
Message 7 of 16

Jump to solution

Hi Ex-Brit,

Good suggestion (Calling them)!  I will try calling them tomorrow because I spent the majority of my day cleaning out our cellar and my 73-year old butt is telling me to lay down for awhile ...lol

I'll post back if I get any satisfaction.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 16

Jump to solution

I hear you, I'm 74  😉

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 16

Jump to solution

You can also type in the Address Bar (192.168.0.1) and go to. For instance > http://192.168.0.1  It will give you your Modem/Router information. Also when calling your ISP Provider, please ask them to set your settings at the minimum (WPA) even better (WPA-2).

( Note ) I was going to post the information you get when going there, However it showed (My) individual info..

All the very Best,

CD/Catdaddy

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
2harts4ever
Former Member
Message 10 of 16

Jump to solution

Hi catdaddy,

I appreciate your added information and I will check it out tomorrow.

Also, I took the coward's way out and emailed Windstream to try to get information on the router since they are the ones who installed it.  I will give them a few more days next week and if I don't get a reply I will call them.  I'll let you know the outcome.

Meanwhile I will play around with typing the address in the Address Bar and see what happens.

Have a great weekend!

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community