cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jps811
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

McAfee & iTunes problems

I had the same problem and after a few hours, I found the fix.  iTunes uses a program called "MobileDeviceService".  It appears Mcafee blocks this program by default.  To resolve this, got to McAfee Firewall Settings, click "Internet Connections for Programs", and find the program called "MobileDeviceService".  Edit the settings to change Access Level from "Block" to "Full".  Now you will be able to synch to your iphone/ipad/ipod through iTunes.

mcafee.GIF

9 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 10

Re: Renewed McAfee & iTunes problems

Thanks will pass this on.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 10

I have no problem ejecting my iPad in iTunes although I never bother...simply just pull the plug usually.  Wouldn't it be more to do with iTunes permissions in that section?

Both iTunes and iTunes Helper should have Full access.

Just a thought as I know an iPad isn't quite the same thing.   This sort of thing usually arises when a popup asking for permission has been somehow missed or worse denied.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 04/03/12 9:02:09 EST AM
Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 10

Strange Mcafee checked several Machines but all show mobiledevicesevrice as set to full. Are you sure you never ever said No to a poup re this. Only a thought. If you se another PC or 2 with it let us know and I will get Mcafe to start looking at it.

jps811
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Thanks for the follow-up.  While I don't have another machine where I use iTunes, I'll give you a little more info that may be helpful.  When I initially installed iTunes, I had the basic Mcafee Antivirus product installed.  I then uninstalled McAfee AV and upgraded to the Mcafee Total Protection package.  After installing Total Protection, iTunes no longer recognized my iPhone or iPad.  I found the 'mobiledeviceservices' program was set to BLOCK.  As soon as I set this to FULL, everything worked fine with iTunes.  I don't recall ever responding to a pop-up about blocking that program (but of course it's possible).  In any case, I had the same problem reported in this message trail and was able to resolve it by unblocking the referenced service.  So at minimum, the knowledgebase should recommend users check the status of the referenced service in firewall settings.  If I can be of any further help, let me know.

Peacekeeper
Message 6 of 10

before you installed Total protection did you remove Mcafee by

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507

ie run add/remove and the MCPR tool?

jps811
Contributor
Message 7 of 10

I did not use the MCPR tool.

Peacekeeper
Message 8 of 10

Might be an issue it is recommended when installing not the same product that you use MCPR as well. I do not use itunes so cannot test this.

Paul-1949
Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Re: McAfee & iTunes problems

My McAfee Total Protection doesn't look like the picture you have or I can't find the proper location (See attached). I assume that if McAfee blocks iTunes from recognizing my iPhone, it also blocks it from "file explorer".  Please provide up-to-date solution if you can.

Thanks

Paul

Paul-1949
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Re: McAfee & iTunes problems

Forget it, the issue was the iPhone. It had to be replaced because the hardware was defective.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community