Did you mean: 
BigJ
Former Member
Message 1 of 19

McAfee Virtual Technician reports missing file

Session ID: 23919803

Expected File not Found

c:\program files\mcafee\mpf\mpfsbt.inf

I downloaded McAfee total protection 2010 off of United States site on my account twice and both times this was found in the virtual technician results. Everything seems ok when I open security center and says I am secure but why is the virtual technician say this file is not found?

Jerry

Message was edited by: BigJ on 2/4/10 1:35:52 AM CST
18 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 19

Re: McAfee Virtual Technician reports missing file

Hi Jerry,

I was able to review the results of your session id, May I know are you running and other instances of third party security software along with Mcafee ?

And are you running MVT from within security center ?

Regards,

Dinesh K

BigJ
Former Member
Message 3 of 19

Dinz wrote:

Hi Jerry,

I was able to review the results of your session id, May I know are you running and other instances of third party security software along with Mcafee ?

And are you running MVT from within security center ?

Regards,

Dinesh K

Hi Dinz the only  other real time protection I have running is windows defender and it has nothing blocked in history and I did not even see that file listed. I do use Malwarebytes antimalware free edition, Spybot-Search & Destroy with tea timer turned off, Adaware 2009 with realtime protection turned off, and Super antispyware free edition.

Jerry

ps I ran MVT from help and support section on McAfees website and it installed it on my computer. How do you run MVT from within McAfee total protection 2010 security center? It looks like it has a link in it to go to help and support page on McAfees website that I used for MVT.

Message was edited by: BigJ on 2/4/10 7:51:00 AM CST
Dinz
Former Member
Message 4 of 19

Hi Jerry,

The help & support option is what I referred to as running MVT from the security center interface.  I would suggest not to run any other antivirus programs along with McAfee as they would have conflicts during any update. Try to uninstall the other security software and update McAfee once and then try to run MVT from http://mvt.mcafee.com and post me the session id so that I could review it , if it finds any problem and update yuo.

Regards,

Dinesh K

BigJ
Former Member
Message 5 of 19

Dinz wrote:

Hi Jerry,

The help & support option is what I referred to as running MVT from the security center interface.  I would suggest not to run any other antivirus programs along with McAfee as they would have conflicts during any update. Try to uninstall the other security software and update McAfee once and then try to run MVT from http://mvt.mcafee.com and post me the session id so that I could review it , if it finds any problem and update yuo.

Regards,

Dinesh K

Hi again Dinz'

Session ID:23963111

I have downloaded this McAfee Total Protection 2010 3 times now and still same results. Are you sure McAfee Virtual Technician has the correct information in it for this 2010 version? On my main security center home screen it says I am secure with no problems. Everything there seems to be working ok with no problems. Why does virtual technician keep reporting same problem over and over? Have any of you have McAfee Total Protection 2010 and run virtual technician to see if this is a problem with yours also? Am tired of downloading over and over to get same results in virtual technician. As long as security center says I am McAfee secure I am going to leave it this way. Would really like someone to check virtual technician out to see if correct info is in there for the 2010 version.Thanks

Jerry

PS do not have any other anti virus installed just antispyware programs that never interfered before in previous McAfee versions..

I ran this virtual technician 3 times now after each install from the United States site with same results in virtual technician. Wish I would have run virtual technician when I first installed it from Austrailia site before it was available on U.S. site.

Message was edited by: BigJ on 2/5/10 10:56:49 PM CST
BigJ
Former Member
Message 6 of 19

Dinz wrote:

Hi Jerry,

Regards,

Dinesh K

Hi again Dinz:

Sessiom ID:23985353

ID above is from my 2nd computer that also has total protection 2010 downloaded and installed from my account and the United States McAfee site. I am in Ohio and this has the same result as my other computer. Is something not right in the virtual technician under 2010 personal firewall file reporting? Wish someone that has downloaded and installed total protection from U.S. site would run virtual technician and see if this file is reported missing. Everything as I said in previous post is the same in security center when I open it up. Both say I am secure.

Jerry

Message was edited by: BigJ on 2/6/10 8:26:42 PM CST
def0
Former Member
Message 7 of 19

Hi BigJ,

It's because firewall team removed mpfsbt.inf several days before release. Virtual technician would normally take some days to update its database and reflect this change. Theres' nothing wrong with your total protection.

k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 19

I downloaded and installed the new 2010 products today Feb 13th and I get the same missing file as BigJ when I ran MVT check. The session id is 24141032. I will check again in a few days to see if this has been taken care of by a daily DAT update.

The_Narc
Former Member
Message 9 of 19

Hello!

I'm going to join the club... LOL... I downloaded and installed more than five times McAfee's AntiVirus Plus 2010 today Feb 15th and got 11 missing files when I ran MVT and a warning over and over again in the event viewer. Check my other discussion here: http://community.mcafee.com/message/114717#114717 . I decide to switch to MSE until someone tells me if this big issue is a nasty bug and if there is any possibility to feel safe again using McAfee because until now I am very dissappointed. BTW I hate the new big notifications when you manually update, scan, etc. I hope they shrink them. Finally, I thought they learnt (I was wrong!) from last version that it is not necessary the annoying main window of the av to appear when you scan by right click, at least, I preffer a tray notification if something is found and fixed.

Thx and Cheers

The_Narc

k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 10 of 19

Just ran MVT at 6:15pm est............Session ID 24234921.........still shows missing file thus latest DAT 5895 still hasn't corrected this yet. Will check again in a few more days.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community