cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zman99
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Latest Update Deactivates Firewall

McAfee, installed its latest update for total protection via the Mcafee auto update. Once the update was complete, it requested and restart, after the restart the firewall will not turn on. I go to firewall in the control panel and try to enable it and it wont. I have had this happen before, i usually go to the web site and do a complete reinstall and it corrects the problem. I did do a clean reinstall from the web and it installs the older version, when auto update run it updates it to the broken version.I did this whole process several times and same problem. This is happening on two computers running windows 7 home edition. I have all current windows 7 patches applied.  Attached are the current version of software that works.  Any suggestions. 

8 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 9

Re: Latest Update Deactivates Firewall

Even if you never use it,. is Internet Explorer also up to date?  McAfee uses it for display and some functionality.

It should be IE11 and fully patched.

If, as you say. uninstall, cleanup, reinstall only fixes things for a short while until the next update, I would enlist the help of Technical Support.

It's a free phone call, link below.  But first run the Virtual Technician to see if it finds and fixes any problems. http://mvt.mcafee.com/

Contact Support

zman99
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Thanks for Replying Brit,  Yes IE11 is up to date with all patches.  I will try the mvt then call support. right now i have auto updates off,

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 9

My suite just updated but not the Firewall and all is fine.

However I have a later version than you 15.0.7015 possibly because I use a different suite.

Other factors also come into play there such as if you obtain the product via a 3rd party (ISP or PC maker for example) as they often delay general updates.

Check to make sure all other firewalls are disabled, Windows and any other software that may have one.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 9

BTW I forgot to say, make sure your system clock is accurate and then reboot.  Sometimes, that's all that is needed.

zman99
Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Hi Brit,

This mcafee was bought via key card at staples. I did a complete cleanup and install from the mcafee website. so this did not come with the PC. My clock is fine and there are no other firewalls except windows, when this is working correctly windows indicate firewall is managed by mcafee. When using the versions i attached earlier everything is fine. I just allowed it to do the updates so i can get the versions it downloads an install.  I will try the mvt tools first then roll back to the download default,.  Attached are the new versions that dont work.

zman99
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

here are the current release3.jpg3.png4.jpg

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 9

OK thanks.  Good luck.  😉

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 9

Odd that you get a green stripe indicating all is well.  I have a feeling all is in fact OK but some interaction with the GUI is failing.

MVT may fix it, if not I would consult with Tech Support.

They may need to access your desktop but they are totally reliable and only access the software & related programs.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community