Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jbcbussoft
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

LAN connection problem with firewall on

Jump to solution

There are two computers on our network that we need to connect to each other. 1 and 2. 1 has the data that needs to be shared. 2 needs to connect to 1. Both 1 and 2 are running McAfee Security Center with AV and firewall. I could not find a version. Both are running Win7. Both security centers are trusting the lan. Trust is setup between 1 and 2. Both 1 and 2 see the network in security center. Both 1 and 2 see each other as trusted in the security center. In the windows network  2 cannot see 1 unless I turn off the firewall. Your thoughts are appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Aldrin
Former Member
Message 5 of 8

Re: LAN connection problem with firewall on

Jump to solution

Hi John,

I guess it's pretty simple to resolve this, please follow the below instructions:

• Let's assume you have 2 computers - Computer A & B
  • Click on Start> Run> Type cmd> Click Ok> Type Ipconfig> Make a not of your computer IP Address (need to do the same on both computers A & B)
  • Open McAfee Security Center on Computer A> Click on Firewall> Settings> Click on Connections> Add the B computer's IP Address over there, select the type as Home> Click on Save and close it
  • Repeat the same with Computer B (you need to add Computer A's IP Address to B) (Check the screenshots for more info)
  • Reboot the computer and confirm the status

View solution in original post

7 Replies
thecreator
Contributor II
Message 2 of 8

Jump to solution

Hi jbcbussoft,

Don't worry so much with McAfee, but make sure you can Share Files and Folders between computers, first. When you can, then add McAfee to the mix.

You need to set up Windows 7 Network and Sharing Center on each computer, first. Have you done this?

What is the Brand Name, Model and Hardware Revision of the Router and what is the Firmware Revision?

jbcbussoft
Former Member
Message 3 of 8

Jump to solution

I had sharing setup quickly. I have a drive mapped. The networking is easy. McAfee is giving me some grief.

thecreator
Contributor II
Message 4 of 8

Jump to solution

jbcbussoft wrote:

I had sharing setup quickly. I have a drive mapped. The networking is easy. McAfee is giving me some grief.

Hi jbcbussoft,

Open up McAfee Security Center. Click on Navigation at the top right.

On the left, click History and Logs. Click Incoming Events. Look for IP Addresses starting with 192. You can't export the logs and post, just use the PrtScrn Snapshot function and paste into Paint and post the PrtScrn Snapshots to the reply. Do it from both computers.

Oh, by the way, I believe you. But seems McAfee doesn't seem to believe that there is a problem with the Firewall, without proof. Include Snapshot of Connections in Firewall settings from both computers.

Aldrin
Former Member
Message 5 of 8

Jump to solution

Hi John,

I guess it's pretty simple to resolve this, please follow the below instructions:

• Let's assume you have 2 computers - Computer A & B
  • Click on Start> Run> Type cmd> Click Ok> Type Ipconfig> Make a not of your computer IP Address (need to do the same on both computers A & B)
  • Open McAfee Security Center on Computer A> Click on Firewall> Settings> Click on Connections> Add the B computer's IP Address over there, select the type as Home> Click on Save and close it
  • Repeat the same with Computer B (you need to add Computer A's IP Address to B) (Check the screenshots for more info)
  • Reboot the computer and confirm the status
thecreator
Contributor II
Message 6 of 8

Jump to solution

Hi Aldrin,

Do you know that the McAfee Firewall ignores the Range, it adds when it first installs the Firewall? See Incoming Events.

The McAfee Firewall blocks elements of the Home Network.

Aldrin
Former Member
Message 7 of 8

Jump to solution

I understand that but you can delete that and add them manually that should work…

thecreator
Contributor II
Message 8 of 8

Jump to solution

Hi Aldrin,

For running the Retail Version, that is good.

For running the Beta Version, that is bad, because you don't want to cover up bugs in the program. You want bugs exposed. So when the fixes come, you want to be able to see the fixes. You should not have to wait for the next version. You want the bugs fixed, so the Retail version works.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community