cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
duckie
Former Member
Message 1 of 4

Is java required to run McAfee Internet Security?

This is the first time I post a new thread so please bear with me I will probably make all misstakes that are at all possible

I put that question in a reply before but never got any reply. Is java  - not Java script, but java! - required to run McAfee AV software, e.g. McAfee Internet Security? As far as I understand it is required to run McAfee Virtual Technician - which btw would explain all the trouble I have had runnig it - but is it also required to run the Security software itself? And if that is the case, why doesn't one get some kind of warning during the installation pointing out that there is no java installed and should be installed?

Best regards

3 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4

Re: Is java required to run McAfee Internet Security?

I don't think so, but I could be wrong.  Technical Support would know better than we Moderators.  All I know is that the SecurityCenter is an Internet Explorer web page and as such relies on a working, up-to-date version of IE set to its default settings to function properly.

Java is needed by many web pages to display correctly, as is Javascript, although the two are different entities altogether.

There is no harm in keeping Java installed as long as you only have the latest version only and have uninstalled any older ones that may be lingering on your machine.  They would be listed in your program list along with the rest of your installed software.

On 64-bit machines it's possible to have 2 versions, 1 for 32-bit browsers and 1 for 64-bit browsers, but the general rule of thumb is to use the 32-bit browser as many add-ons aren't yet compatible with 64-bit.

This all will change with the advent of Windows 8 and IE10.

Properly installed, Java will auto-update at regular intervals.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Speaking from personal experience, I can say that I don't think Java is needed either for McAfee Internet Security or for MVT. I had Java but uninstalled it completely and it did not seem to affect either of those programs. A few days ago I re-installed Java as an experiment and I see no difference in the operation of MVT or McAfee. So I conclude that Java is not needed.

Javascript may be necessary, so check your settings in Internet Explorer (which Security Center uses).

Message was edited by: Hayton on 04/09/12 17:18:29 IST
duckie
Former Member
Message 4 of 4

Thank you for your answer.

This was what I suspected. I am asking because many times here when somewhat peculiar behaviour of MVT was reported, we were asked, e.g. by Jay, to check if we had an updated version of Java. From www.java.com

My Java script settings are OK as far as I can see.

Regards

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community