cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
theflyingmonkey
Former Member
Message 1 of 8

How to open/close ports in firewall

I am using McAfee Internet Security and how do I know if a port is opened or not in the "Ports and System Services" ootion in the Firewall settings?

Does having a check next to the port and description of the service mean close? Or does having it unchecked mean closed? Could I close all the default ports that are list in that option after a installation of McAfee?

7 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 8

Re: How to open/close ports in firewall

Click the Help or 'Learn More' - that will tell you in more detail how it all works.

If you check a port or ports in that list or add one, then it is opened for business, however that is merely a term, it is actually stealthed.

Unchecked they are 'closed' but actually stealthed.

A closed port would actually make it visible to the outside world.  (As would an open one).

That said, if you have a router or modem with a hardware firewall built-in, between the computer and the ouside world, then they see only that anyway.

Test using ShieldsUp

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

But remember the bit about the router with a firewall, it will see only that if you have one, unless its firewall is deactivated.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 14/05/13 8:06:57 EDT AM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 8

Actually here's a universal help file that could be useful as the built-in help sometimes takes forever to load.

Bookmark it if you like.

Help

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 14/05/13 8:00:18 EDT AM
theflyingmonkey
Former Member
Message 4 of 8

I read the help and it seem that if there is a check in the checkbox, the port/serviced is opened.  Without a check the port/service is closed.

However, that seems to be wrong based on the checks that McAfee applies by default.  With a default installation, everything but UPnP and Common Operating System Services are not checked.

If not having a checkmark means that the port/service is closed, then how can we get internet? As there is no checkmark in the box next to port 80 (http).

Could you also further explain what you meant when you said

"If you check a port or ports in that list or add one, then it is opened for business, however that is merely a term, it is actually stealthed.

Unchecked they are 'closed' but actually stealthed. A closed port would actually make it visible to the outside world.  (As would an open one)."?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 8

Checked ports aren't open in the "wide open" sense, they are stealthed.

The firewall knows which ports are needed by the system and sets them accordingly.  They aren't necessarily listed in that table.

kaleshake
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

I am having the a similar problem where I open the ports but they are still closed.Not sure what I am doing wrong.I am tring to use ports 25000 and 25003

Local TCP/IP ports 25000-25003

local UDP ports       25000-25003

open ports to:  (option 1) PC's in work and home networks only. (option 2) all PC's (not sure about this option.I have tried both and it doesn't work)

Foward port activity to other PCs using internet Connection sharing.(box is checked)

save and checked box.

I tested my ports and they are still closed or the connection keeps timing out.

http://ping.eu/port-chk/

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 8

I would contact Technical Support, it's free by phone or online chat.  See Useful Links at the top of this page.

CharlesKnell
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Re: If not having a checkmark means that the port/service is closed, then how can we get internet? As there is no checkmark in the box next to port 80 (http).

Port 80 is used to give access to the public on the internet to access a webserver which is hosted on your machine.  So, for you to access websites, port 80 can be closed.

A "Stealth" port is one that completely ignores and simply "drops" any incoming packets without telling the sender whether the port is "Open" or "Closed" for business. According to http://grc.com . 

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community