Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Leeeeeeelo
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

How to close / open a port

Jump to solution

Hello everyone !

I have a question regarding McAfee firewall .

I have a web server running on my PC . I have given the program full access via the 'Program Persmissions' feature . Hence if a connect via another PC to my network, I will be able to visit the web pages my web server is hosting .

Here is my problem : when I go to 'Firewall', 'Ports and System Services' and uncheck/clear "Web Server (HTTP) Port 80", which should close port 80 and forbid any connection to my server, I still can connect and load the web pages my web server is hosting .

How can I close port 80 ?

Even if I have given full access permissions to my web server , if I close port 80 , shouldn't this forbid all connections to my web server ?

Any help is appreciated .

Thank you in advance .

Best Regards ,

Leeeeeeelo .

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Re: How to close / open a port

Jump to solution

I assume that you mean you can view web pages on a PC on your Home Network from another PC outside that network?  If this is a question about setting Trust levels within the network you should review this Help section; and there's a section on System Service Ports here. If Port 80 can't be closed off completely you should at least be able to restrict access via Port 80 only to Trusted PCs in your Home Network.

In your firewall settings, try setting the Security Level to Stealth. This would at least close off most of the open ports on your system. Afterwards, run a testing program like ShieldsUp! to see how accessible your system is (and take a few minutes to investigate a few of the other security tools on the GRC site).

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Leeeeeeelo
Contributor
Message 2 of 7

Jump to solution

Plz ? Anyone ?

How can I force McAfee to close ports on my PC ?

Using nmap , I can find lots of unknown open ports on my PC eventhough I manually unchecked all ports in 'Ports and System Services' in McAfee .

Thank you in advance .

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 7

Jump to solution

The more technical questions would be best answered by Technical Support Chat linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

According to the help section in my SecurityCenter what you did should close that port, however you have to remember that if you use a router - maybe provided by your ISP - any port test is governed by that.

McAfee Firewall automatically allows essential system ports oitherwise your system wouldn't be able to function properly, unless you place it into Lockdown.

Also the home products aren't really designed for use in a server environment.

Meanwhile I will see if I can alert a firewall expert to this thread.

Leeeeeeelo
Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Jump to solution

Hello Ex_Brit ,

Thank you for your prompt reply .

Well this is no server environment, this is my home PC. I am a undergrad student and I am using Apache 2 to test my homeworks and this is why I want to close port 80 to forbid all external connections to Apache 2.

There are many other suspicious openned ports that I cannot close eventhough I unchecked all ports in McAfee's firewall.

Yes I have a router and it is not interfering in my port tests because I am scanning the ports of my PC from within the internal network.

Thanks again,

Any additional help is really appreciated.

Best Regards !

Message was edited by: Leeeeeeelo on 4/16/11 7:52:17 PM GMT+02:00

Message was edited by: Leeeeeeelo on 4/16/11 7:52:51 PM GMT+02:00

Message was edited by: Leeeeeeelo on 4/16/11 7:53:35 PM GMT+02:00
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 7

Jump to solution

Well as I said you could get immediate help by click Technical Support Chat - see Useful Links at the top of the page.

I did flag the thread hoping a technician might be cruising the forums, but as it's the weekend that is unlikely.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Jump to solution

I assume that you mean you can view web pages on a PC on your Home Network from another PC outside that network?  If this is a question about setting Trust levels within the network you should review this Help section; and there's a section on System Service Ports here. If Port 80 can't be closed off completely you should at least be able to restrict access via Port 80 only to Trusted PCs in your Home Network.

In your firewall settings, try setting the Security Level to Stealth. This would at least close off most of the open ports on your system. Afterwards, run a testing program like ShieldsUp! to see how accessible your system is (and take a few minutes to investigate a few of the other security tools on the GRC site).

Leeeeeeelo
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Jump to solution

Hello everyone !

Thanks for your replies !

Well Hayton, I have set the security level to stealth since I installed McAfee for the first time, long long time ago.

Thanks for pointing out the idea about the trust level, I didn't think about it. Port 80 was configured to be "Open ports to: All PCs". Now I can set it to "PCs in work and home network only" and open port 80.

I am going to give it a try for ShieldsUp!, thanks for the tip.

Have a nice day !

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community