cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeepland
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

Help! Can't ftp stuff to my website following recent McAfee update.

Following a recent update I'm no longer able to upload stuff to my website.

Firewall hasn't been a problem till now. I know its the firewall as if I turn it off I can upload stuff again.

I've looked through the settings but it seems to be based on programs not addresses.

I use the command prompt and ftp commands.

So how do I get McAffee to leave well alone and let me get on with my life other than turning off the firewall completely.

I'm annoyed about this - it's not something I've asked it to do  - its been done to me unannounced by McAffee.

Seriously thinking about ditching this AV as I had no issues in three years using another leading 'brand'.

4 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 5

Re: Help! Can't ftp stuff to my website following recent McAfee update.

Try looking in the firewall settings under "Ports and System Services" and checking at least the "File Transfer Protocol (FTP) Ports 20 - 21" item as the update may have changed that.

If that doesn't help I am sure that Technical Support will be able to find a solution.  It's a free phone call or can use online chat.

Link is under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 11/04/12 7:30:28 EDT PM
jeepland
Former Member
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for this and yes an update apears to have unchecked the ftp ports but its obviously done more than this as I have to still turn the firewall off to ftp.

I just don't understand why McAffee seem to think they can do as they please with your settings and not even tell you.

Thanks for trying. I'll refer to support.

jeepland
Former Member
Message 4 of 5

Sorry just tried that link, it just takes you to the virtual technician malarky which I've never had any success with and simply don't have the time to waste on.

How do I get direct to free support. Sorry but this Av system (and the support) is bugging me badly.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 5

Tried the phone option at the bottom left of the page?  I don't think that asks you to use the MVT.

If not click 'Run the McAfee Virtual Technician' & when the MVT window appears don't touch it, click 'Live Chat' again at the left and this time the link up should appear and you can simply explain to them that you couldn't get MVT to work.

Good luck.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 13/04/12 11:59:36 EDT AM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community