Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
axcel3
Former Member
Message 1 of 129

Firewall turning Off - Disabling Home Network Service Temp Fix

Let me start out with the issue:

McAfee has been acting strange as of lately. By strange I mean it has been crashing between 1 and 5 times a day for over a week.

I have finally been able to pinpoint what has been crashing: The McAfee Firewall.

This lead me to an issue which I have been trying to fix but that I haven't found a solution to. I am hoping someone can give me some help.

Here is the rundown of the SERVICES (Control Panel>Admin Tools> Services)

All McAfee Services are set as Startup Type - AUTOMATIC; Except 3, which are showing MANUAL.

Now 1 I know is always Manual: McAfee Scanner (The one that starts when you start a V-Scan)

The other 2 though are the problem: McAfee Firewall Core Services & McAfee Validation Trust Protection Service.

The issue here is that when I RIGHT CLICK, then Click PROPERTIES; All Options are grayed out (Meaning I can't change them to AUTOMATIC).

Now before anyone jumps the gun here is more info:

The BFE Service is set as: Startup Type AUTOMATIC

The RPS Service is set as: Startup Type AUTOMATIC

The Windows Firewall Service is set as: Startup Type AUTOMATIC.

Routing and Remote Access Service is set as: Startup Type AUTOMATIC

I have so far done the following (Multiple Times and in Various Orders)

Uninstalled McAfee Total Protection And Then Reinstalled McAfee Total Protection.

Run The MCPR And Then Reinstalled McAfee Total Protection.

Uninstalled McAfee Total Protection And Then Run The MCPR And Then Reinstalled McAfee Total Protection.

Run The MCPR And Then Run The McAfee Pre Install Tool and then Reinstalled McAfee Total Protection.

Uninstalled McAfee Total Protection And Then Run The MCPR And Then Run The McAfee Pre Install Tool And Then Reinstalled McAfee Total Protection.

Uninstalled McAfee Total Protection And Then Run The MCPR And Then Manually Tracked Down And Removed Every Single Remaining McAfee Registry Key And The Run The McAfee Pre Install Tool And The Reinstalled McAfee Total Protection.

Wiped My Hard Drives, Reinstalled Windows 7 (64bit) And Then Reinstalled McAfee Total Protection.

Run Every ESET Tool Multiple Times (Never Finding Anything Wrong)

Run Malware BYTES Multiple Times (Never Finding Anything Wrong)

Run McAfee Stinger Multiple Times (Never Finding Anything Wrong)

Run The Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool Multiple Times (Current Version, Never Finding Anything Wrong)

Run MVT Multiple Times (Never Finding Anything Wrong)

No Matter What I Have Done The Result Is the Same: A Few Times A Day McAfee Crashes, Always the Firewall Shutting Off AND I Am Not Able To Change The McAfee Firewall Core Service Or The McAfee Validation Trust Protection Service Settings To Automatic (They Are Always Set as Startup Type Manual And Are Grayed Out, Meaning they Can't Be Changed).

Not Sure What Is Going On; About Losing My Mind Here.

Running: Win 7 64Bit, Windows Up To Date, McAfee Says Up To Date; All Other Programs Up To Date.

128 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 129

Re: Mcafee Issue

I think this is a job for Technical Support, link below, it's free by phone or online chat.

The only thing that your should check that isn't mentioned above is, is IE up to date (IE11, all patches etc)?

Also, if you've run any registry cleaners lately, see if they have a reverse button.

Also do not ever interfere with any Services or other system files.

Ask support to escalate the case if they at first can't find a problem.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

Peacekeeper
Message 3 of 129

Those firewall and trust services settings are set that way it is on Mine as well and I am having no issues at all re crashing.

RE greyed out the same for the automatic setting on the personal firewall it is greyed out and cannot be altered.

Also what is your version of Mcafee?

I second Peter's suggestion the only crash we know is a Blue screen that has been fixed

axcel3
Former Member
Message 4 of 129

Security Center Version 14.0 Build 14.0.4113 AffId 0 Last Update 8/16/2015

Anti Virus & Anti Spyware Version 18.0 Build 18.0.4054 Last Update 8/16/2015 Engine Version 2346.0 Last Update 8/16/2015

Personal Firewall Version 15.0 Build 15.0.4010 Last Update 8/16/2015

Anti Spam Version 15.0 Build 15.0.4006 Last Update 8/16/2015 Content Version 5400 Content Update 8/17/2015 3:01:08AM Engine Version 3.0.0.429

QuickClean & Shredder Version 14.0 Build 14.0.4007 Last Update 8/16/2015

Vulnerability Scanner Version 4.0 Build 4.0.4004 Last Update 8/16/2015

Yes IE 11 and Yes All Updates Are Current For It And Windows 7 (Do Not Want Windows 10 or 8 For That Matter)

Do Not Use Registry Cleaner Programs. Any Edits To Registry Are Done Manually and ONLY RARELY To Specifically Remove "Left Over" Fragments From Uninstalled Programs.

Last Time, We (Fiancée and Myself) Contacted Customer Service, A Few Years Back It Was A Nightmare. We Got Told We Were Wrong Many Times, Until Finally The Issue Was Found To Be A Bug With A McAfee Update.

Somehow In The Process My Fiancée's Communities Account Was Blocked (He Has Never Been Able To Sign In Since Then Or Create A New Communities Account).

Even Though It Is Rare For Me To Ask A Question Or Comment On Something; I Do Not Wish To Have The Same Happen To Me; So I Will Refrain From Trying To Deal With Customer Service.

From The Sounds Of The Above Replies; What I Am Experiencing Is An As Of Yet Unknown Issue With McAfee Total Protection That Is Affecting A Very Small Group Of People (Or Maybe Only Me, Who Knows); Which May Or May Not Fix Itself At Some Point In The Future.

As Such I Just Need To Deal With The Fact McAfee Crashes At Random, And Keep Running ESET, Malware Bytes, Stinger And MVT Scans Until Such A Time The Problem Fixes Itself At Some Point In The Future.

Thank You (And Hopefully I Haven't Just managed To Get Myself Banned From Here)

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 129

I am perplexed with your issue? For I also am running McAfee Total Protection/Windows 64-Bit 7 SP1, with no issues or problems with my Software 'Crashing'. I might add that your Version/Builds reflect mine as well. Other than what Colleague's Ex_Brit/Peacekeeper has suggested, I can only agree with them

As for being concerned as to what you have stated, I personally see no reason to worry about being 'Banned'

All the very Best

Catdaddy

McAfee Community Moderator

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Peacekeeper
Message 6 of 129

I would call support you have reinstalled reformated etc and issue still there  really you have gone further than 99% users would have so I would call support. If they talk about reinstalling etc ask for an escalation I will mention your issue in our mod phone call tomorrow as well.

BTW did you purchase McAfee from McAfee or through an isp etc?

axcel3
Former Member
Message 7 of 129

Purchased McAfee From McAfee Directly Via Download. Actually have done this for a few years (Easier Than Find A Retail Box Copy).

Ok Technical Details Of The Last 3 Crashes By McAfee FireWall:    

PROBLEM SIGNATURE

Problem Event Name: PCA2

Problem Signature 01: mfefire.exe

Problem Signature 02: 15.4.0.674

Problem Signature 03: McAfee Core Firewall Service

Problem Signature 04: SYSCORE

Problem Signature 05: McAfee, Inc.

Problem Signature 06: 200

Problem Signature 07: -1

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

Extra Information About The Problem

Bucket ID: 10

This Was Listed As A Compatibility Issue With Windows (Don't Ask That Is What Windows Says) This Was At 7:51pm Yesterday (8/16/2015).

Description

Faulting Application Path C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\Platform\McSvcHost\McSvcHost.exe

Problem Signature

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: McSvHost.exe

Application Version: 5.0.4062.0

Application Timestamp: 55aee26a

Fault Module Name: HOMENE~2.DLL

Fault Module Version: 8.0.4088.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 55a88b74

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 000000000016d9cb

Additional Information 1: 1db9

Additional Information 2: 1db9f31a2ac86575eae4895e2b072c98

Additional Information 3: 8e5d

Additional Information 4: 8e5d47cfbf1a6c7c0dd2a2fc21724375

Bucket ID: 27346943

This Was At 6:48pm Yesterday (8/16/2015)

Description    

Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\Platform\McSvcHost\McSvHost.exe

Problem Signature

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: McSvHost.exe

Application Version: 5.0.4062.0

Application Timestamp: 55aee26a

Fault Module Name: HOMENE~2.DLL

Fault Module Version: 8.0.4088.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 55a88b74

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 000000000016d9cb

Additional Information 1: 1db9

Additional Information 2: 1db9f31a2ac86575eae4895e2b072c98

Additional Information 3: 8e5d

Additional Information 4: 8e5d47cfbf1a6c7c0dd2a2fc21724375

Bucket ID: 27346943

This Was At 6:39pm Yesterday (8/16/2015)

The Information In These 3 Technical Detail Reports (From The Microsoft Problem Reports) Is EXACLTY The Same Information Provided EVERY SINGLE TIME McAfee Has Crashed Over The Last Week.

Every Single Time McAfee Crashes It Creates The Exact Same Technical Detail Report, Every Time.

I Have Reported All Of Them To Microsoft (For What That Is Worth).

Peacekeeper
Message 8 of 129

I have added your issue to the issues we are discussing . I do not suppose the hard disk has bad sectors seems a tad hard to believe after formatting that same blocks get copied to again. Is the crash a blue screen type?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 129

Last Time, We (Fiancée and Myself) Contacted Customer Service, A Few Years Back It Was A Nightmare. We Got Told We Were Wrong Many Times, Until Finally The Issue Was Found To Be A Bug With A McAfee Update.

Somehow In The Process My Fiancée's Communities Account Was Blocked (He Has Never Been Able To Sign In Since Then Or Create A New Communities Account).

That's Technical Support I assume.  Customer Service is not for this sort of thing.  If at first you don't succeed ask them to escalate.

I have "Followed" your profile, if you follow mine (click on my name) you can message me the private details of your fiancee's original account and I can then check to see why it was blocked if you want.

You may need to redisplay the page to see the Message button appear.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 129

I forgot, the message system is broken, if you want to post your fiancee's user name, I can investigate what happened.

This may be caused because of an IP block, it sometimes happens when we are blocking spammers/spambots.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community