Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
piet43
Contributor
Message 11 of 39

Re: Firewall stops streaming data to TV set after 20 minutes

Hi creator,

I do agree with your vision, and after getting rid off the frustations I will endup deleting McAfee firewall ( as I know that the Windows firewall doesn't have this problem ) and perhaps

try another product.

thecreator
Contributor II
Message 12 of 39

Re: Firewall stops streaming data to TV set after 20 minutes

piet43 wrote:

Hi creator,

I do agree with your vision, and after getting rid off the frustations I will endup deleting McAfee firewall ( as I know that the Windows firewall doesn't have this problem ) and perhaps

try another product.

Hi Piet Zuijderduijn,

Are you wirelessly connected to your Router? And at the same time, you are running a Lan Cable from the TV to the Ethernet Port on the computer? Or is the LAN Cable plugged into the Router?

If you answer the previous Questions and these, maybe I can help. But not knowing, how you are exactly set up and what you are seeing, I can't offer any solutions.

piet43
Contributor
Message 13 of 39

Re: Firewall stops streaming data to TV set after 15 minutes

Hi creator,

Appriciate your efforts.

Answers to your questions :

1.McAfee total protection installed 21-11-2012

2.Security center      version   11.0                 build  11.0.654

Virusscan                              15.0                           15.0.294

Personal firewall                    12.0                           3.4.0.143

Anti spam                               12.0                           12.0.292

Anti theft                                  2.0                             2.0.403

Quick clean/shredder             11.0                           11.0.416

3.This is a new computer with Windows 7  pre-installed  

4. No have not tried firewall on , virusscan off

5. This a desktop Asus-8265  I7  2600K

6. Both desktop PC and TV are connected via lan-cables to router (and ADSL modem)

In the past I have also tried wireless connections, but results are the same.

And next to that I have also a laptop running Windows XP SP3 , with the same McAfee components, giving the same problem.

I hope this gives you a better  idea of the environment, and perhaps a brainwave to a solution.

Regards,  Piet

Message was edited by: piet43 on 3/19/12 8:57:34 AM CDT
thecreator
Contributor II
Message 14 of 39

piet43 wrote:

Hi creator,

Appriciate your efforts.

Answers to your questions :

1.McAfee total protection installed 21-11-2012

2.Security center      version   11.0                 build  11.0.654

Virusscan                              15.0                           15.0.294

Personal firewall                    12.0                           3.4.0.143

Anti spam                               12.0                           12.0.292

Anti theft                                  2.0                             2.0.403

Quick clean/shredder             11.0                           11.0.416

3.This is a new computer with Windows 7  pre-installed  

4. No have not tried firewall on , virusscan off

5. This a desktop Asus-8265  I7  2600K

6. Both desktop PC and TV are connected via lan-cables to router (and ADSL modem)

In the past I have also tried wireless connections, but results are the same.

And next to that I have also a laptop running Windows XP SP3 , with the same McAfee components, giving the same problem.

I hope this gives you a better  idea of the environment, and perhaps a brainwave to a solution.

Regards,  Piet

Message was edited by: piet43 on 3/19/12 8:57:34 AM CDT

Hi Piet,

Do a Manual Update of McAfee. The Firewall Built, you entered, is not the newest built for McAfee Total Protection 2011. Right now, running that the beta version for that release, of my Dell Laptop, shows a Beta build of 12.0.355. You should have a greater build number.

Uncheck using Netguard.  Use Monitored access. Enable Smart Advice. Dot Ask me to decide, and Check Allow ICMP ping requests.

Windows Media Player should have Full Access and Netguard Off.

You should have a range of IP Addresses in My Network Connections that Never Expires for your particular Router.

It makes no sense, whatsoever to add Individual IP Addresses to My Network Connections, if there is a Range of IP Addresses in there that covers all your IP Addresses that are assigned by the Router.

I complained that McAfee Firewall ignored the Range IP Address, while it was in Beta, it should have been fixed before being released.

piet43
Contributor
Message 15 of 39

Hi creator,

I followed all your suggestions, but unfortunately : no result , same stop of streaming after 15 minutes.

By the way, after a manual update  I can't get higher with the Personal Firewall as 12.0.345

This is the same on my Acer  laptop with  XP , SP3

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 16 of 39

This is a very interesting topic and not one that's necessarily confined to people using McAfee products.  I just did a Google search for 'firewall stops media streaming after x minutes" and got a whole slew of different answers ranging over a huge array of products from different manufacturers and types of media.

If it isn't sorted out here or through Technical Support by Monday next I'll bring it up on our Conference Call with McAfee staff.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 20/03/12 10:05:24 EDT AM
thecreator
Contributor II
Message 17 of 39

piet43 wrote:

Hi creator,

I followed all your suggestions, but unfortunately : no result , same stop of streaming after 15 minutes.

By the way, after a manual update  I can't get higher with the Personal Firewall as 12.0.345

This is the same on my Acer  laptop with  XP , SP3

Hi Piet,

What is the Brand Name and Model Number , plus Hardware Revision and Firmware Version of your Router? I don't want to give my Model Number out, until you give me yours, because some posters are simply lazy and say it is the same as mine. That's the reason. No Offense.

What is the IP Speed that you are receiving?

Are you streaming  from a DVD Disk or a TV Program recorded onto the Hard Drive or from the Web?   

Mine is set up for a Firewall On. All devices have a Static IP Address assigned by the Router.

Also:

• Enable UpnP is checked.
  • Enable Multicast Streams is checked.
  • Enable Wish is checked.
  • Under Priority Classifiers HTTP and Windows Media Center is checked.
piet43
Contributor
Message 18 of 39

Hi creator,

These are some answers to your questions, because some options just are not there.

Router : Thomson TG789vn (1004QT461)

Software :  8.4.2.U

Bootloader : 1.0.5

Product code : 36592630

Boardname : CANT-4

Bandwidth : up / down 1.024 / 6.176

Measured with speedtest : 0.574 / 5.19

Settings : Intrusion detection enabled

Use UPnP   : YES

Use extended security : NO

Local lan : 100Mb

In my tests I use a recorded video to stream from a hard drive on the PC  to the TV

But I have the same results streaming foto's or music.

I 'm not using static adresses, but assigned by DHCP

Have tried static in the past, but same problem.

I would not know where to find your other settings.

thecreator
Contributor II
Message 19 of 39

piet43 wrote:

Hi creator,

These are some answers to your questions, because some options just are not there.

Router : Thomson TG789vn (1004QT461)

Software :  8.4.2.U

Bootloader : 1.0.5

Product code : 36592630

Boardname : CANT-4

Bandwidth : up / down 1.024 / 6.176

Measured with speedtest : 0.574 / 5.19

Settings : Intrusion detection enabled

Use UPnP   : YES

Use extended security : NO

Local lan : 100Mb

In my tests I use a recorded video to stream from a hard drive on the PC  to the TV

But I have the same results streaming foto's or music.

I 'm not using static adresses, but assigned by DHCP

Have tried static in the past, but same problem.

I would not know where to find your other settings.

Hi Piet,

You have Intrusion detection enabled. Disable Intrusion detection.

My Router is a D-Link DIR-655 A3 Router. I use Static IP Addresses assigned by the Router, so the 192. Addresses never changes from within the Home Network. I don't have Intrusion Detection on my Router.

Do the testing again, without Intrusion Detection Enabled and see what happens with the McAfee Firewall. Remember Intrusion Detection interfers with the Home Network.

piet43
Contributor
Message 20 of 39

Hi creator,

I can't disable Intrusion detection .This is blocked by my ISP.

Instead I disabled my Internet connection, because this I can program on the router. ( I understand this is not the same you suggested )

Next to that I went to static IP adresses, and ran the test again. Same problem after 15 minutes.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community