Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
crystal
Former Member
Message 51 of 54

Re: Firewall not turning on

No they never charged me anything .... Luckily

I am getting this really annoying warning though but I only just renewed my subcription middle of last month ..... when I go to check the status like it says ... it apears every thing is fine ANY IDEAS?

Grrr McAfee.jpg

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 52 of 54

Right-click the icon by the clock and select Verify Subscription.   If that fails to stop it, make sure your System Clock is accurate and then run the Virtual Technician to see if it can find and fix problems:  http://mvt.mcafee.com/

if that fails to correct it, uninstall everything via Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program (Add or Remove Programs in XP), then run the MCPR cleanup tool listed under Useful Links at the top of this page, reboot and reinstall from your online account.

pd1
Contributor
Message 53 of 54

@Crystal

You were fortunate it didn't cost you anything (although you may still have an infection on your system if you are still getting warnings .... not that I'm any expert AT ALL!).

Here's what happened for me today so you can decide if there's anything of use to you (I'll try to be brief) ....

I called McAfee & their technician did some remote jiggery-pokery again and fixed the Firewall (free up to this point). He then gave me a telephone number (McAfee's virus removal team) which he advised me to call as there may still be an infection (I suppose this was because the problem kept re-occurring).

I called & was advised by the "Salesperson" that his technician colleague would check for virus infection and if they found anything, there would be a charge (£59.99 in UK) to remove it (no charge if nothing was found).

They scanned the machine thouroughly & found a virus (which I had actually already seen when I used one of McAffee's tools to scan my machine yesterday .... though the tool did not tell me how to remove it.... which I suppose is because they want to charge people for this service??).

Anyhow, after a fairly long period on the phone the operative cleaned my computer remotely & I'm now Virus free (I hope!). She also created a new restore point for me so that I have a clean point to go back to if I have problems again.

It's cost me quite a wedge of cash but after all the stress & anxiety of not knowing what might be going on in my computer & who may be rummaging through my stuff, I was passed caring & so paid up.

It still seems a bit wrong that one should have paid for Virus protection which didn't fully protect and then have to pay a pretty penny to clean up after it failed but I'll live with that for now.

So, if you keep getting alerts and it's not because of your renewal (and, by the way, I'd just renewed my subscription too, coincidentally), you may want to try some of the virus/malware tools on the McAfee site or get the techs to scan .... but be prepared to pay!

Bon Chance!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 54 of 54

Sorry about your experience but no antivirus is 100% guaranteed.  Most antivirus makers offer their own virus removal service and all charge for that service.  There are varying levels of paid support with the most expensive providing a year of no charge technical support of any kind including virus removal.  One can always refuse those services and try free methods of virus removal, if one has the time and patience of course.  The last link in my signature has a few suggestions and there are many forums which specialize in such questions.  Some are linked under the Hijackthis header lower down that link.

Again it's your choice what route you take.   Regular Technical Support and Customer Service (account issues) departments do not charge for their services and are linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 03/12/12 4:45:28 EST PM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community